Forums Latest Members
  1. Frederic_gva Nov 2, 2016

I love Swiss watches for about 10 years. For about 18 months, I am more and more interested in vintage watches (mainly Omega, Rolex, Zenith).

My wishlist keeps growing and growing, I follow more and more watch freaks on Instagram, etc... ... and that scares me.... because when I want something, I can't resist...::facepalm2::

Some of you have the same "symptoms" ??

2. Sanmilc Nov 2, 2016

I guess 75% of all watch forums menbers feel the same.... the other 25% are just asking for the value of the watch that his uncle/father/etc gave him as a present.....

thelinendial, kkt, Sidnos and 14 others like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 2, 2016

Yes ...Its a disease and an expensive one at that. It is made much worse if one's spouse does not understand or approve. The only cure is running out of funds with which to purchase watches. (In which case selling to buy creates a relapse condition and the spiral continues). :whistling:

4. Frederic_gva Nov 2, 2016

You're not helping Larry.... :confused:

kkt likes this.
  5. watchthirst Nov 2, 2016

Even if there was a cure for this "watch virus" would any of us even take it?

I doubt it ;)

DaveK likes this.
  6. SpeedTar Nov 2, 2016

No solutions!! The pharmaceutical laboratories are not willing to help us, neither the psychology experts.
    Get prepare to be : happy, envious, happy again, frustrated and also in cash need!!

7. watchthirst Nov 2, 2016

And assuring yourself and your spouse that this is the last one until next year, but somehow end up purchasing 2 more watches while having to get creative to justify the purchases.

8. Frederic_gva Nov 2, 2016

This is.... SO TRUE....::facepalm2::

and the worse thing is I hardly wear them as I don't want to scratch them and I end up wearing a watch that I don't like the most...

chipsotoole and watchthirst like this.
  9. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Nov 2, 2016

of course they aren't - the big swiss pharma board members are the same folks who sit in the big swiss watchmaker boards...

Syrte, ahartfie and SpeedTar like this.
  10. Willem023 Nov 2, 2016

Of course you can.
    Go outside, take a deep breath and realise that there is a sharp difference between greed and real interest in a watch
    Go inside again and make a educated (...) choice.

Not that hard, man up!

64Wing, kkt and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  11. Interstellar Nov 3, 2016

the only solution is Vitamin M and lots of it.

M = Money ;) ::psy::

durri70 likes this.
  12. kov Trüffelschwein. Nov 3, 2016

Risto, Lonestar, ANALOGUE and 29 others like this.
  13. ulackfocus Nov 3, 2016

Neither of those industries want to cure you - they simply want to treat the symptoms so you feel a little better. If they cure you, they lose a customer and your money.

chronos likes this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 3, 2016

Next process steps:
    Put watch in safe with the others
    Hope it blends in with rest of your collection.
    When wearing and asked if it is new, say "What this old thing? No I've had this for years!

thelinendial, repoman and ahartfie like this.
  15. ulackfocus Nov 3, 2016

See, that's actually a lie. You haven't had it for years. The proper way to say it is "This watch? It's not new." and leave it at that. If you're a vintage collector or you bought it pre-owned, that's a 100% true statement.

16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 3, 2016

My wife and I have a deal between us that works. It comes under don't ask don't tell. We do not ask each other about are purchases. Plus it never hurts when I buy my wife some trinket. From time to time I will purchase her a nice piece of jewelry and she is happy for awhile that works for me

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 3, 2016

That actually works. The other day she asked "You haven't bought any new watches since we talked have you?" To which I correctly replied ... no.

ahartfie, kkt, watchthirst and 2 others like this.
  18. SpeedTar Nov 3, 2016

My wife was about to leave me because of that insanity...so I bought her a new vintage watch to make her stay...guess what happened! :whistling:

kov, kkt, watchthirst and 1 other person like this.
  19. omitohud Nov 3, 2016

This thread sounds like watch anonymous. Keep it up ladies and gentlemen.

I blame it on the autoconnect.

SpeedTar likes this.
  20. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 3, 2016

I tried that, she had no interest. She is happy with her Timex Ironwoman and her Garmin GPS watch.

I had a great July. The CK2998 and the SM300ti MC came in that month. The following month came the no more watches.... heard it before, but this time she was serious. So guess what? No more watches... I am laying low for now. Will need to sell several before I buy again. This is fine, it made me re access my collection and I sold three last month and plan to sell 4 more this year.

Of course, the moratorium was on watches. I did buy an awesome JB Champion for my Ed White this week and also have an extra speedmaster bracelet coming in the mail this week.