Forums Latest Members

Watch Vault NYC Impersonator or Facebook !?!

1. WatchVaultNYC Jun 10, 2015

What are the chances that someone (who isn't me) innocently shows up with a Facebook page called "Watch Vault International" that:

- also sells pre-owned watches
    - started mere months after my own business is registered
    - by a seller who is only 1 degree of separation from Facebook? (there is a common friend)
    - by a seller who has been selling pre-owned watches for years and decided it was time to make a name change.. and use a name confusingly similar to mine!!!

I'm very very p!$$ed. Left a message on his FB wall to give him a chance to voluntary change the name of his page if the similarity is unintentional. I'm filing an FB trademark infringement form if that doesn't work. And if that doesn't work it's off to the lawyers for a cease and desist letter.

To anyone who does not get it yet, Watch Vault NYC is not affiliated with this person. And if this name confusion is intentional, you should not consider buying from this person.

On Facebook, my handle is "Watch Vault NYC"
    On WUS and Omega Forums, my handle is "watchvaultnyc"
    Over email, its "[email protected]" and "[email protected]"
    On the web, its "watchvaultnyc.com"

They say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", but it's no excuse to capitalize on the good name Watch Vault NYC has painstakingly built on this forum and elsewhere.

I hope this guy is not on this forum :mad:

2. redpcar Jun 10, 2015

::popcorn::

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 10, 2015

I sort of hope he is!

::stirthepot::

persco and Darlinboy like this.
  4. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jun 10, 2015

I definitely hope he is (said with my 148th painstaking post)!

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2015

Watch dealers getting imitated by shitbags isn't uncommon, there have been people pretend to be DavidSW, Eric Ku, and various others, they get people to pay them for watches that never arrive then let the real business owner deal with the fallout.

6. bvertz Jun 10, 2015

In my experience, trademark litigation can be expensive and exasperating. But you seem to have the key element. The essence of a trademark or service mark is "use in trade." A competitor who tries to mislead consumers in a marketplace where you're already recognized should beware.

7. WatchVaultNYC Jun 11, 2015

I never thought I had to do it this early in the game, but I filed "Watch Vault NYC" for a trademark with the USPTO today.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 11, 2015

Just filed and opened a face book page for,

Watch Vault Australia

Will sell both to you for a price....if not welcome to buisness partner,:)

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 11, 2015

Hey f*#k you!

You're hivin' off my proposed "WatchVaultVictoria"!

I'm gunna sue!

(Oh, hang on, the response to "sue for breach of use of a trademark" in Oz is usually GAGF Mate!)

Oh well, I hope WVNYC wins his battle.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 11, 2015

Well wouldn't need a vault in the NT as no need for G-Shocks to go in a vault.
    Also time is told by how many beers you have had still, If your drinking rum its night time

Think I hold more watches over $500 than most jewellery stores up here.

Last time I took the speedmaster to get the bracelet removed no one was insured to touch any Swiss watches.

Lulu Bear and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  11. ulackfocus Jun 11, 2015

WatchVaultNJ here! :D ::stirthepot::

...... or maybe EmptyWatchVaultNJ is more appropriate nowadays. :p

CanberraOmega and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  12. persco Jun 11, 2015

@WatchVaultNYC Sorry to hear that. So many examples of ethically-challenged people on the internet nowadays. It's enough to make you depressed.

13. WatchVaultNYC Jun 11, 2015

Update: the guy just removed the "comments" section on his wall. It's pretty obvious that he's read my message and doesn't want other viewers to see it, but he hasn't changed the name of his FB page yet.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, that the similarity in name despite the coincidences was unintentional. But he's increasingly acting like a guilty man.

14. WatchVaultNYC Jun 11, 2015

Dudes, you're giving me franchising ideas..

15. WatchVaultNYC Jun 11, 2015

Update: removing my comment from his wall (asking him to change his page name) and disallowing any posting on his wall is a pretty much an act of bad faith.

I just reported his @$$ on FB for trademark infringement

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 11, 2015

Well I'm joining and opening watch vault new Jersey but don't worry, I only sell gold rolex and Invicta

17. WatchVaultNYC Jun 11, 2015

Only if you call it WatchVaultJoizy.com

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 11, 2015

All this consternation and not one claim of being "ticked off"? You need a new Director of Marketing. :rolleyes:

19. bill5959 Jun 11, 2015

At least in the US, you already have ™ trademark rights if you used it as a trademark in commerce. If you were first, that's pretty much it. the question becomes how close is his so-called mark to yours and maybe how strong is your mark , and unfortunately how much your lawyer costs. There I would consider a Joisy lawyer. I used to send them to Philly for bankruptcy work. They corn holed the hell out of those Philly guys. :)

peep, bvertz and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 11, 2015

So listen, I gets Vinny here to drop this here gold rolex with all the bells and whistles... Don't worry bout it!! You just give me a little something something for the trouble, plus a little something something to cover the overhead and expenses you know what I mean? Oh and sign this document here giving me ownership of your house and car...don't worry bout it, it's all good, just sign here.

Badabing, Badaboom!!

Edited Jun 12, 2015