Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaCal66 May 3, 2016

2. Northernman Lemaniac May 3, 2016

Definitely a targeted operation. Someone knew what the guy was carrying.
    All good arguments for keeping discrete while on the road.

gemini4 likes this.
  3. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

Hardly any information in that article--it felt like reading something posted over on yahoo.

So he had $260,000 worth of watches and cash, yet he could only afford economy seating? How exactly were the valuables stolen? I assume he kept a case with the goods under his seat, since he would immediately notice lost overhead luggage before anyone got off the plane. The whole story sounds fishy. Wouldn't it be common sense to keep everything in a locked case? It almost sounds like he had everything in his pockets and took a snooze.

I always check the contents of my carry-on (not in overhead) before standing up to ensure nothing fell or was left behind. I'd never pack anything valuable or irreplaceable in checked luggage (that includes carryon suitcases in case it's a small plane). If he really didn't notice the theft until after he got off the plane, keep an eye on him as a potential future darwin award recipient.

Edited May 3, 2016
    chronos likes this.
  4. stiofan WUS topic importer May 3, 2016

Edited May 9, 2016
    chronos likes this.
  5. gostang9 May 3, 2016

This was my first thought as well. Of course there are merchants selling high-priced luxury items who cannot afford them, but still seems suspicious.

While this would have been very relevant to anyone reading the story, no details are given. Quite strange...

Yep - I agree. I fly all the time, and I find it very hard to believe anyone with any sort of interest in self-preservation would avoid such a large scale theft in a plane, especially flying in economy (either can't afford better, or not willing to spend money on better - either case should be more careful with $260k in goods).

6. lillatroll May 3, 2016

I saw something like this on a series on National Geographic about Dubai Airport. Apparently there are organised gangs who fly from Dubai to Asia. They monitor people in the departure lounge and try to see if anyone has any valuables or money and watch where they sit on the plane.During the flight they get up and try to take stuff. They target planes travelling overnight as people are likely to be asleep and try to put their own luggage in the same overhead compartment so as not to arouse suspicion if anyone wakes up. If they do get caught, quite often they get released because the victim does not have time to wait to fill reports due to having to catch a connection flight. As most people have travel insurance, it is often quicker and less hassle to report the stuff stolen and claim it on travel insurance even if they lose some money, it is less than the cost of a new plane ticket.

7. stiofan WUS topic importer May 3, 2016

Edited May 9, 2016
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 3, 2016

How many times has everyone been on a long haul flight and seen most of the plane asleep. If your in the middle of the plane anyone could be in your bag even if your awake.

Worked at a airport for several years and gangs have been targeting airports for years.

One years ago was fly in from overseas steal bags off trolleys at checkin and domestic arrivals while people get their bags off carrousel fly out within the day. Out of the country by the time the cameras are checked.

cristos71 likes this.
  9. Flingit1200s May 3, 2016

10. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

Well, it sounds like the world is a dangerous place. I'll just stick to the USA thank you very much :)

CTS-V likes this.
  11. Flingit1200s May 3, 2016

.........because there are no dangerous places in the US? :rolleyes:

12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 3, 2016

Very funny!

Archer likes this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 3, 2016

maybe it was the snakes

Mad Dog likes this.
  14. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale May 3, 2016

dumb

15. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 3, 2016

That was uncalled for. It was funny - not dumb.

Nitzbar likes this.
  16. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

Well it's nice to know that my whimsical postings are capable of eliciting rude responses.

That said, I know the USA isn't all roses and sunshine. I grew up in Flint, MI :D My favorite memory is waking up, looking out the window, and seeing a guy taking off down the street like a bat out of hell--carrying a large TV.

Edited May 3, 2016
    CTS-V, gostang9 and OMGRLX like this.
  17. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale May 3, 2016

Apologies. I meant "dumb" as whimsical.....

18. glownyc May 3, 2016

Lot's of valuables and cash are transported in inconspicuous ways every day. Every few years the news here in nyc has a story about someone leaving cash or some jeweler leaving diamonds behind on the train, on a bus or in the back of a cab. It happens so often they get too comfortable doing it. Probably many more incidents we don't hear about.

19. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 3, 2016

I know America is a rich country, but morning TV deliveries? In the UK we just had milk!

Nitzbar, jsaen, ahartfie and 3 others like this.
  20. mokofoko One sad panda May 3, 2016

Hah!

A friend of mine lived maybe 10 minutes away--he was out of town for several weeks, came back to find most of the aluminum siding ripped off the house. Yeah, it's a great place to live as long as you don't drink the water.

I was working on an RAF base for about 4 months. Had the time of my life. Everyone was so friendly, the landscapes were beautiful, and I never felt nervous wandering around at night (except in London). Still, I thought the adjustment would be seamless, but there were some UK folk who I couldn't understand... period. I'd just stare at them. I knew it was english, but... huh?