Forums Latest Members
  1. Dave lee Sep 4, 2020

Hi everyone
    This is my grandfather's Omega which still works perfectly. I wear this often but I'm not so keen on the strap. It maybe the original one but I am looking to change it for a leather strap.
    So which colour would suit best and where best to purchase.
    Thanks in advance

IMG_20200904_121146.jpg IMG_20200904_121305.jpg
    Zapatta, Syrte and Duracuir1 like this.
  2. Charlemagne1333 Sep 4, 2020

Lovely watch

It’s good that you are removing the strap. These elasticated Speidels are known for destroying lugs. Can’t quite tell from the photos but the lugs look ok

You could fit a leather strap of any colour to this watch. Personally I’d go with a honey brown as it would match the tone of the watch

Have a good one

Benbradstock, DaveK, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  3. Sherbie Sep 4, 2020

agree - Try to remove the bracelet carefully, without damaging the lugs

Almost any local jewellery store will have an assortment of leather straps - ask to see what they have, and lay them next to the watch and chose what you like

brown or black plain leather, Croc, or lizard would look good IMO

you can spend from 20-300 - so buy something that suits your budget

there are many firms out there - Molequin straps are great, Hodinkee now have a huge range, Watch Obsession in the UK are great supplier ( and stock a huge range, including Hirsch straps) etc

Some internet sites also give examples of what their straps look like on stainless steel watches, and gold watches, so you can get some impression of what it may look like - ie Hodinkee

also search threads here for watches on straps - this might give you some leads

Dan S and Dave lee like this.
  4. GreekOmega Sep 4, 2020

Very cool watch, and what a better way to make it cooler than having some fun with straps. Honestly, once you see how much fun it is and how each strap can make it feel fresh again, you may want to get a couple (if you are planning on wearing it). My advice would be to buy straps with a quick-release tab, or even get pins that have the quick release so you can swap it out without the trouble of using tools and damaging anything.

I don't have many pictures on me, but here is an old Seiko somebody gave me for being in their wedding and I put this gray perlon on it and I absolutely love it and is fun to wear. (plus inexpensive to swap). A lot of companies have inexpensive options. On old gold, I like seeing anywhere from blue leather to even a maroon. Of course the tans and blacks are classic, but have some fun with it and do what the watch was made to do: Be worn!

20200904_094911.jpg

Dave lee likes this.
  5. Dave lee Sep 4, 2020

Thanks so much for your advice

6. Dave lee Sep 4, 2020

That's great advice so thank you
    When I've changed it I'll post new pictures

7. Dave lee Sep 4, 2020

Yeah I was thinking of a honey brown colour
    Thanks for the advice and when I've changed it I'll post some pics

michael22 and Charlemagne1333 like this.
  8. Walrus Sep 4, 2020

That’s great those are my favorite watches to see, those handed down. I know I’ll save my grandfathers bulova which is very basic over everything else I have. Sometimes if you look around here people are selling used straps. There definitely is a big difference in strap quality but big difference in prices as well. As everyone already said you would be wise to remove that bracelet as soon as you can. I picked up an old seamaster that had one on it I think the only reason it didn’t do any damage as it hadn’t been worn for years. You will have no shortage of options, plenty of people sell handmade straps etc. I hope you find one you really like, enjoy your watch.

Dave lee likes this.
  9. wagudc Sep 4, 2020

I think chocolate brown would be nice. Something with a character to match the dial patina. I agre perlon could be nice. I like the Eulit brand for that. I have wanted to pick up one of these patina dial watches to put it on Portuguese cork.
    Screenshot_20200904-173723_eBay.jpg

Dave lee likes this.
  10. malilis Sep 5, 2020

Dave lee likes this.
  11. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Sep 5, 2020

Dave lee likes this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 5, 2020

Matte croc would look nice on a watch like this- and I agree with the recommendation of brown, honey, blue or maroon.
    Also make sure no one « buffs » your watch, the patina on old gold is beautiful.
    Personally I prefer flat straps on a vintage dress watch, I find padded straps often overly bulky as those vintage watches are not huge like modern ones.

Here’s a thread with a million recommendations for suppliers-
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/«wa...-buy-good-quality-leather-watch-straps.82232/

Dave lee likes this.
  13. Zapatta Sep 5, 2020

I would go with light brown or light gray suede strap. Looks great on gold tone watches.

Dave lee likes this.
  14. rob#1 Sep 5, 2020

Nice watch :thumbsup:. I’d get a range of straps so you can change it up when it gets too familiar.

Maybe try a light brown, then a dark brown, then maybe a burgundy - it’ll give the watch a fresh look each time

Dave lee likes this.
  15. DON Sep 5, 2020

Thin semi matte black with black stitching and quick release spring bars (if you can find)

Casual. Medium brown. Brown stitching. Not to light, but not too dark. Same as above spring bars

DON

Dave lee likes this.
  16. Dave lee Sep 16, 2020

Thank you to everyone for their advice.
    I chose this style and colour in the end which I think goes very well with the old girl.
    I'm also keeping her the way she is now with no restoration only servicing
    Thanks

IMG_20200916_125559.jpg IMG_20200916_125545.jpg
    wagudc, Charlemagne1333 and rob#1 like this.
  17. Charlemagne1333 Sep 16, 2020

Classy

Dave lee likes this.
  18. wagudc Sep 16, 2020

Perfect!

Dave lee likes this.