Forums Latest Members
  1. aby11 Apr 30, 2021

Dear all,

Was wondering how watch scratches, dings etc. affect the 'value' of an Omega long term?

Does the watch being used dramatically reduce its value?

Interested to hear thoughts...

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 30, 2021

A watch with a scratch or ding will generally fetch a lower price than the same watch without, all other factors being equal.

Using a watch increases its value as a timekeeping device. Safe queens ... pfffft!

Edited Apr 30, 2021
  3. kelsey Apr 30, 2021

There’s a difference between price and value ;). Dints, scratches affect the price, my scratches on my watches add value.
    Anyway cases etc are there to protect the watch movement etc so scratches show it’s doing it’s job.
    You buy a NOS vintage watch at say Christie’s you’d be scared to wear it, safe queen of little value as a time keeping device.
    Buy similar scratched and dinted version, you could then wear and enjoy, making it much more of value for its intended purpose.

Edited Apr 30, 2021
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 30, 2021

If you wear a watch you enjoy it yourself.
    If you keep it pretty and don’t wear it your buyer gets to enjoy it. (Stuff that idea)

You have to have a model for us to compare.
    So a PO with a few scratches is probably not worth much less than a pristine one in 10 years.

So basically if your buying a watch now your not seeing the thousands of $$s difference a 1960 speedmaster in NOS condition is worth over a beat up one.

connieseamaster likes this.