Forums Latest Members
  1. Kdog1971 Jan 21, 2018

New to the forum, about to buy my first Omega soon. Anyway to the topic. My friend had an omega speedy that was given to him by his father. The father claimed that it was a limited edition and that one part in each watch of said edition came from a watch that was on the moon.
    I've searched the forum and the web. I can find nothing about a watch like this? Anyone have any info or was it BS?

2. SgWatchBaron Jan 21, 2018

Is your friends father an astronaut? If not it is 110% BS.

3. kkt Jan 21, 2018

If there was a watch that had been on the moon that was in private hands, it'd be worth a lot more whole than parted out.

4. gdupree Jan 21, 2018

If it were the case, it would be quite illegal. Naturally, the government would not disassemble priceless pieces of history. Plus, very very few watches that visited the moon are unaccounted for.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 21, 2018

There is one confirmed a Bulova that was on the surface of the moon. I forget which astronaut wore it as a “personal” watch. It sold for 1.6 milliona few years back.
    http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-102315a-apollo-moon-watch-bulova.html

All issued watches worn on the moon save 1 are accounted for and still owned by NASA. The missing one, Buzz Aldrins and was lost in shipping to be serviced. And is generally considered the most valuable watch in the world if it ever came up for sale which if it surfaces will not.

Edited Jan 21, 2018
    Looneytoons and gdupree like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 21, 2018

I wonder if the OP watch is one of the 50Speedmaster pro’s aka the Moonwatch that went up on a Soyuz flight and then where sold after a year in space. Ie a flown watch but not worn watch.

There are moon flown watches that are in private hands mostly personal watches but there is not really anyway to verify them. There are a few nasa issued and flown watches in private hands also but I’m not sure which missions they are from.

7. SgWatchBaron Jan 21, 2018

OP should show a picture. Or maybe OP watch has a meteorite Dial. Pretty sure meteorites came from space!

8. Donn Chambers Jan 21, 2018

Never heard of that, but perhaps your friend’s father is confused and thinking about the Romain Jerome Moon dust DNA watch

https://gizmodo.com/5087026/moon-dust-dna-watch-made-from-actual-moon-dust-and-parts-from-apollo-11

They moon dust is incorporated in the dial and it has scraps from the Apollo 11 mission in the case. Don’t know where the scraps came from, but that’s what they claim.

9. SgWatchBaron Jan 21, 2018

Food for thought: Would all these space flown/moon worn watches and artifacts be worth less once Elon Musk’s Tesla brings humans to the moon? Or better yet, set up a settlement there.

10. kkt Jan 21, 2018

When Musk gets there, ask me.

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  11. Caliber561 Jan 22, 2018

Maybe someone'll get Musk to bring a new Speedmaster along...

SgWatchBaron likes this.