Forums Latest Members
  1. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2016

Several years ago I bought my Apollo Eleven LE Speedmaster from an Omega AD known for his discrete great deals
    On mentioning the watch to me, I immeadiately said, I'll take it!!

The number 0011 watch arrived the next day and was just as described.
    The watch was new in box and was sold back to the dealer from a first owner,
    who had purchased it a couple months earlier. It came with complete set (I have the patch and more paperwork someplace), but there was on small hitch.
    The returning buyer had requested a fancier Omega wood box instead of the black special Apollo 11 box.
    The AD did his best to try and locate the correct box for me, but he had recently moved after his store, (on Continental Blvd, Washington, DC :D) was seized for urban renewal and the box was nowhere to be found. :(
    apollo11a.jpg apollo11ab.jpg apollo11abc.jpg

I was in Orlando for family matters and bought another Speedmaster, a 145.022-69, 14 days ago. ( Dennis will tell you that you can't have too many Speedmasters ;)). This was from a very nice small shop
    I wore the watch out the door, and the dealer said he would find an Omega box and mail me my Zenith Mango-Mango back home to me. Worked for me.

Flash forward to this week.
    After a 13 day wait my Mango finally showed up yesterday. The post Office had misplaced it, though they knew where it was:rolleyes:. So here it is:
    apollo11abcd.jpg
    :rolleyes:

Hijak, lando, Emeister and 20 others like this.
  2. nurseford25 Oct 12, 2016

Awesome!

3. ctime3 Oct 12, 2016

That ended well

4. ulackfocus Oct 12, 2016

Dennis will also tell you that the title of this thread is something he said to Steve during a recent phone conversation. Do good for watches (and moderating a watch forum definitely qualifies), and the Watch Gods will take care of you.

5. alam Oct 12, 2016

@cicindela how many times I have to tell you is not mango! It's papaya!!! :D good outcome too!

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2016

Yes Dennis said that to me, or more like ,
    "Dude that's Watch Karma. You do good for the forum or watches and the Watch Gods will take care of you"
    So give credit to the amazing Squirrel Man. :thumbsup:

Here he is, takin' his props ::facepalm2::

aaaSN-Squirrel-Karate-solent1.jpg

Hijak, NT931, Nitzbar and 4 others like this.
  7. cvrle1 Oct 12, 2016

Not to thread jack, but whats up with love of squirrels on OF? Congrats btw.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2016

Start with post #1 and read through 'till number 320,000 or so. Will pretty much cover it. :D

cvrle1, Baz9614 and oddboy like this.
  9. ulackfocus Oct 12, 2016

I'm not exactly sure how it started. It just gradually happened, like a slow rolling snowball effect. I do remember MMMD making mention of the Golden Squirrel of Distraction, and a squirrel is a gold hallmark (see the avatar LouS has), but that's only two steps in the progression. It's just one part of Omega Forums' lexicon and lore.

10. Jking something intelligent and witty... Oct 12, 2016

I've been wondering that myself but I was sure it was already on here somewhere waiting for me to find it (just like the section on how to post in the sales forum!). Not wanting to look like the stupid newbie asking questions that have easily found answers I never asked....but now I know. What is it they say about patience?

Jwit likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2016

OK, OK. That was not helpful. Here.

Well, it started back in 1967, when Dennis was just a pup. Then, around the time of Atlantis' fourth flight, STS-30, of which Dennis was slated to be the command pilot and to do some adjustments to the Hubble telescope, (small areas where only a squirrel could get into.) he start having problems with hair loss. Well the powers that be decided he was too much of a risk and he might get squirrel hair in the Hubble . He was grounded :eek:
    Well naturally Dennis was devastated ! Omega felt bad for him as he had been such an ardent Omega supporter ever since he found an old 2700 constellation in a hollow tree at age two :(. Omega had a special Omega Speedmaster LE made for him to honor his achievements as the first squirrel space. Now we all know Dennis can have a bit of a temper. He took the presentation LE Speedmaster given to him by Stephen Urquhart (Gold with red bezel) and threw it in the Ocean off Cape Canaveral, or was it Hoboken? Never matter. From that day forward Dennis swore that he would never wear another Speedmaster again.
    So now you know the whole sad story ::facepalm2::

A fuller account can be found on page 833, appendix 2915E, Omega, A Journey Through Time.

Edited Oct 12, 2016
    Nitzbar, cvrle1, GregH and 3 others like this.
  12. ulackfocus Oct 12, 2016

Not anymore. Omega bleached out that page on the first editions, and subsequent editions they leave blank.

So, actually Steve has explained 2 mysteries.

Unfortunately, everyone in authority at Omega Forums has been sworn to secrecy about page 831. We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you.

13. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 12, 2016

Tell him.

Tell him now.

14. meganfox17 Oct 12, 2016

[​IMG]

cvrle1 and ulackfocus like this.
  15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 12, 2016

H,ITAST? IT!

ulackfocus likes this.
  16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 12, 2016

I still can't figure how the box got from DC to Florida?

17. cvrle1 Oct 12, 2016

Squirrels pulled it along in their cart

[​IMG]

*If I had any photoshop skills, i would have replaced toys with that box, but alas, my skills are teh suck*

18. SeanO Oct 13, 2016

Karate Squirrel?

19. Maganator Oct 13, 2016

Ha! What are the chances?

Glad it worked out well.

20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2016

Sweet!

There is a box on eBay at the moment but its so messed up, one of the worst I've seen.