Forums Latest Members
  1. David Rees Feb 8, 2020

Out of the blue my Seamaster 300 master co axel stopped working!When I noticed this it was 3 hours after the watch had stopped.I reset it and then noticed it lost an hour in a 3 hour time period.Ive reset it again and at the moment it’s keeping time.
    The watch is 4 years old worn everyday but not when I sleep,any thoughts on this please?
    I’m obviously watching it now to see what happens over Sunday,should I contact an Omega delear?
    Thank you
    David

2. Braindrain Feb 8, 2020

Total guess here, but mainspring issue?

Yes, if it's under warranty, contact your Omega dealer. If not under warranty, perhaps a trusted local watchmaker?

3. Slowpoker Feb 8, 2020

Can you see anything visibly wrong with the movement when you use the watch?
    Wind it 40-50 turns to maybe see If it'll keep a decent reserve or fizzle out just as quick.

Could be a loose screw or mainspring issue but I'm no watchmaker.

Either way take it to the OB. Did you still have your warranty by any chance?

Edited Feb 8, 2020
  4. alam Feb 8, 2020

dunno, maybe have a qualified watchmaker look at it?

5. David Rees Feb 8, 2020

If I understand correctly the warranty is only 3 years? Watch is 4 years old,yes I have all the paperwork and certificates etc

6. Slowpoker Feb 8, 2020

It's now 5 years but back in 2016 it was 4 years for master co axial movements. If your warranty card is dated after February 2016 then you're in warranty.

Even if you're out of warranty I would still take it to the Boutique and get them to check it out. Worst comes to worst you'll just have to pay for a service.

7. Dan S Feb 8, 2020

Wind? :oops:

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  8. Slowpoker Feb 8, 2020

I mean I'm assuming the watch has no remaining power and thus needs winding to get it going properly.

Suppose I should edit the post to reflect that..

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 8, 2020

I thought they back dated the warranty period to 5 even I’m already sold watches.

10. Dan S Feb 8, 2020

Sorry, I was making a bad joke. Like the OP posted that his watch stopped, but it was because he forgot to wind it. Actually, that wouldn't be the first time we saw a thread like that with an automatic watch running out of power because the person is fairly inactive and doesn't supplement the auto-winding with manual winding.

Slowpoker likes this.
  11. Slowpoker Feb 8, 2020

Unfortunately they increased it to 5 years towards the end of 2018, with all timepieces bought after July 1st 2018 getting another year on their warranties.

@Dan S Lol sorry, I'm totally hopeless when it comes to jokes online!

Edited Feb 8, 2020
  12. Faz Feb 8, 2020

I've come across some auto watch owners that do not wind their watches. They strap them on then flick the wrist a few times to get it going. The watch is never fully wound and this practice is clearly insufficient especially as the watch gets older. Many are surprised when told they have to give a good 20-30 winds to their automatic prior to wearing.

An honest omission but you never know? Maybe the OP assumed he didn't have to wind his watch?

Dan S and M'Bob like this.
  13. ericjasman Feb 8, 2020

If the obvious stuff doesn't work, send it in to Omega haha

14. killer67 Feb 8, 2020

If you bought it new it should have a 5 year warranty so I would communicate with an OB either way

15. David Rees Feb 9, 2020

Thank you all for you help and ideas
    I don’t believe I was ever told to give it a manual wind every now and again.
    The watch has worked perfectly for 4 years without any problem.
    The watch was reset again yesterday evening and was given 50 winds the watch at this moment is holding time and hasn’t been worn while sleeping,let’s just hope this was just one of those rare cases.

16. Donn Chambers Feb 9, 2020

there have been several mis-statements on this thread about a watch purchased four years ago having a five year warranty. No. Here is the official link from Omega:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/customer-service/5-year-warranty

Only watches purchased after July 1, 2018 have a 5-year warranty. Watches purchased before that have the warranty in place at the time. For the OP’s watch, it was either 3 or 4 years.

Regardless of the warranty length, I agree the OP should just fully wind and see if it happens again, or fully wind and see if it has the full power reserve when sitting untouched. If all is okay, then there’s unlikely a problem. If it stops again, you’ll just have to send it in for service.

M'Bob likes this.
  17. ericjasman Feb 9, 2020

Glad everything is working like it should OP. I wasn't aware about the occasional manual winding as well so good to know.

18. ExpiredWatchdog Feb 9, 2020

^^Huh. The automatic either works or it doesn't. It doesn't need a trip out behind the barn every so often.

Op. Test your reserve. Wind it fully via the crown, say 40 turns, set it for midnight on the first and let it run until it stops. Now advance it to the next midnight, counting the hours of advancement. The reserve is 24*(date -1) - hours advanced. If it stops at nine and you have to advance three hours to roll the date to the third, then you have 24*2-3 or 45 hours.

Next, whirl it around 600 times in one direction and 600 times in the other, then repeat the above. The results should agree within a few hours. If so, you need to get out the the couch more often.

Edit: Oh, look, a hundred posts. Where's my magic key?

19. killer67 Feb 9, 2020

Thank you and good to know Donn - haven’t bought new in a while :unsure:

20. pongster Feb 10, 2020

Happened to my co-axial double eagle several years ago. I called the service center as the watch stopped and wont restart even if shaken and on the wrist. And i was just asking where to bring the watch for service since under warranty.

Then the service person on the phone told me to wind it. And problem solved.

I also didnt realize then that automatic watches can be manually wound.