Forums Latest Members
  1. apapercup Aug 8, 2017

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so please be kind...

Somehow I managed to "catch the bug" and I've been looking to buy a vintage omega watch for the past month plus now. I've been lurking on the vintage Omega forums for at least 1-2 months, I've read a number of your posts... especially the "learn to fish" series.

I've been trying to find a sub $300 watch to be my first Omega and I was wondering what you recommend as the best way to find a watch? Are Pawn Shops a good place to find value? are they generally speaking a trap? Would you simply recommend eBay with Research (i've been watching eBay for 2+ months now too)?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 8, 2017

Generally with the internet Pawn shops know what they have. Salvation Army etc now ship watches to a central location for price checks.

300's a tough price point but can be done. Ebay with knowledge helps. Alternative search terms on eBay . Local estate sales

3. cristos71 Aug 8, 2017

I think you really need to double your budget, $300 is not nearly enough to find a good vintage Omega, especially if you have no buying experience.

With $600 you can stake out the sales forum here and it shouldn't take you more than a week or two to find a nice honest watch from a forum member.

I would avoid EBay if I were you as you lack the knowledge to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

ozmega and kyle L like this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 8, 2017

.....and budget at least $250 for a service.

5. Wryfox Aug 8, 2017

My dumb ass passed on a $300 Constellation at a flea market two weeks ago...didn't have the cash on me. Went back the next day,big surprise..its gone. They are out there. Be patient. Same guy had three other Omegas at $300 each. Typical lifetime used condition but all running.

6. chipsotoole Aug 8, 2017

There are bargains and unusual ones out there for 300 but you gotta be patient. Decide what you want in terms of styling and era, be prepared for the extra price of a revision (the more basic the watch the cheaper the revision) and if you can, get one with a nice original bracelet. If you go the eBay route there are often ones advertised as "working for parts", which can mean after a revision there are top. Remember to get one you LIKE and actually WANT to wear. Vintage watches are smaller than modern tastes so try a few out on your wrist if you can. Nothing wrong with markets, junk and pawn shops as long as you are informed...

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 8, 2017

Pawn shops can be good, but you will need to find one that does not sell on internet, as mentioned. Also it's hit and miss and 99% miss. But when u score it's so very cool.

A few months back at a pawnshop I scored a -71 with a 1039 bracelet on the cheap. I also picked up a vintage JLC for $6.99 at Goodwill. And a Hamilton super compressor for cheap at a consignment store . All this year. And when I say on the cheap, I mean 50%+ less than going rate.

The deals are there, have fun looking for them. And welcome to OF.

8. Wryfox Aug 8, 2017

Pony up a pic sir. Gotta see that one:thumbsup:

9. Uniqez Aug 8, 2017

You need a lot of passion. Check local Craigslist adds (or equivalent site). I have purchased my really first Omega (it was 18k gold Seamaster from 60s) for around $400 (or 450 don't remember exact number) , had Omega Geneve with lovely patina for $80...they are out there, you just have to passionately wait for right one to come, and of course spend some time researching and building your knowledge base,there are good amount of fake and Frankenstein watches among the good deals.
    Tons of watches on the eBay, but don't forget that lots of people are doing the same searching, so you have to spend minimum amount of time for pulling the trigger, otherwise good deal will go to someone else.

brownip likes this.