Forums Latest Members
  1. MinneTime Jun 3, 2016

Hi OF members!
    This is my first post but I've been on OF for awhile because I love the discussions and learning from all the posts. I'm still very new to watch collecting and to Omegas specifically, so I never feel that I have enough knowledge to contribute.
    Now, on to the reason for this post. I'm getting married soon and wanted to get my future father in-law a nice gift. My in-laws live far from us so my interactions with them have been limited. I know that my father in-law has a nice watch but from what I hear it's pretty beat up (I'm sure not serviced).
    The question is, should I get him a nice vintage (his birth year or era) watch or something on the newer side? I'm not sure if he appreciates watches as much as I do. Or should I even get him a gift?
    For all you married and/or father in-law OF members out there, what do you think?

Thanks!
    PS. Great Forum!

2. ulackfocus Jun 3, 2016

Hold on a second...... aren't YOU supposed to receive something from HIM? You know, like a dowry for taking one of his offspring off his hands. ;) :p

OMGRLX, watchme and MinneTime like this.
  3. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 3, 2016

How 'bout a birth-year Speedy ::psy::

4. MinneTime Jun 3, 2016

Thanks Goodness his birth year was before the speedies.....I guess I'll have to save up for my birth year instead.;)

5. MinneTime Jun 3, 2016

Before anyone calls me out on it, I will have an avatar up. I just need to upload a respectable picture.

BenBagbag and ulackfocus like this.
  6. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jun 3, 2016

While being very nice, I think buying your future FIL is weird. Seems to be trying too hard. I know, not a very fun answer for this thread........

Btw.....I'm married and would describe myself as trying a little less hard than I should.

Edited Jun 3, 2016
    OMGRLX likes this.
  7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 3, 2016

I think given the fact that you are taking his daughter off his hands, he should be buying you a nice Patek or something similar.

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 3, 2016

Did not get a gift for my in-laws when I got married either time... Definitely not a custom here in the US, nor where my current in-laws live.

9. MinneTime Jun 3, 2016

I wouldn't say I'm trying too hard. Just that every time we meet up, he would buy things (gifts, outdoor gear.....no watches yet though!). More like returning the favor? He's actually very generous.

10. MinneTime Jun 3, 2016

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. It sounds like the consensus is that I should bag the idea and I get myself a speedy.

oddboy likes this.
  11. rcs914 Jun 3, 2016

I would say that getting him a watch would be nice, but getting him something that is quite expensive may be trying too hard or would make him feel uncomforable. IE spending $500 might be fine. Spending $5000 on him may make him self conscious.

OMGRLX and Foo2rama like this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 3, 2016

I agree with this. Unless you drive a Rolls but then again you would not be asking this ;).

I would do something like that after the rehearsal dinner in private.

OMGRLX likes this.
  13. MinneTime Jun 3, 2016

That's exactly in the ballpark I was thinking.

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 3, 2016

If he is not into watches then a Vintage, birth year or not, will read as "second had used cheap watch" to him. so buy him a nice Longiness or Omega or something that is classic but brand new.