Forums Latest Members
  1. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 16, 2015

All,
    I recollect that Archer has asked for input from the members previously regarding Swatch's scandalous proposal to restrict parts to independent watchmakers.
    Here is an email from the Watchguy(s) in the UK asking for we interested parties to fill in a short questionnaire that they will use to petition the relevant parties
    I thought posting it here would bring it to the most peoples attention

If you feel strongly about what Swatch are doing you may wish to complete the survey
    As the survey is not limited to only folks in the UK -to make life easier for those outside of the Eurozone:
    £1=1.36 Euro
    $1=0.88 Euro
    regards
    Philip

As you know, the Swatch Group will not supply spare parts starting 1/1/2016, which means that we won't be able to source parts for your Omegas, Longines, or anything else Swatch Group, including all watches with an ETA movement.
    We have put together a little survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches and would be very grateful if you could take 5 minutes of your time to fill it in. Also, if you know any other watch enthusiasts, please pass the URL along and spread the word. We would like to get over 1000 surveys filled in to make this meaningful.

We will use the data to get on to CEAHR to support their efforts to open up the spare parts trade, and will also give the results to the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry. We feel that it should be the customers that decide where they service their watches, and not the companies that sell the watches.

Also, if you have some additional time, please contact the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry at http://www.fhs.ch/eng/contact.html and let them know how you feel and what you would like as a customer.

Thank you very much for your help; it's greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Christian & Mitka

Mark020 likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

Um, while it's great to fight the good fight, the Swiss could care less about what consumers say. Nobody will tell them how to run their businesses. If the US Supreme Court can't make them bend, why would anyone believe a handful of everyday Joes could make them change?

citizenrich likes this.
  3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 16, 2015

Yeah true - it is probably futile
    But where governments fail sometimes customer pressure succeeds
    These guys are only interested in money so if there is any threat to their profits their shareholders might start asking questions
    We know the current situation - anything that might change that outcome is worth a shot

4. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

That's the thing - the money you all represent isn't even pocket change to Swatch. If you could get the MILLIONS of luxury watch buyers ACROSS THE GLOBE to sign, then you'd have something. You won't coordinate something as massive as that, so you won't have anything. Swatch, or more to the point, Hayak, is/was convinced that this is the correct path for the industry to be on.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 16, 2015

This thread feels like deja vu, all over again.

Peemacgee likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

It is.

7. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

It is.

8. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

:D

Peemacgee likes this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 16, 2015

Perhaps the Supreme Court needs to form a 'drone department '
    Switzerland is only a small country
    The Swatch Group HQ can't be that difficult to find on Google maps...

10. Pvt-Public Oct 16, 2015

Found it! 47*08'07.55"N 7*14'12.43"E start programming the drones.

11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 16, 2015

You're assuming that the US Supreme Court wouldn't screw that up. Not a good assumption.

12. Habitant Oct 16, 2015

Before I drifted into the vintage watch world, I ran an arts organisation representing a group of practitioners (one of which I was and still am). So both points, C&M's earnest plea and the various droll responses I've heard before in a slightly different context.
    At one point, the world's biggest player in our business decided to impose new contractual terms which were very favourable to their interests and disadvantageous to us.
    In short, we mobilised and put enough loud pressure on them that they agreed to met with us and, ultimately, agreed to revise their terms to more equitable ones. We showed them that it was in both our long term interests and we both backed away from the table convinced we wer ahead.
    I believe that pressure can be brought to bear. Swatch is just another company, another company that needs good PR, not bad. But it wouldn't be an easy fight. But fatalism is unlikely to prove productive to our interests, so…
    There are watchmakers in the US writing letters to their congressmen. Hurrah. Will that make Swatch relent? Unlikely. But a concerted and concentrated campaign can and will make a difference.

Northernman and Geo! like this.
  13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 16, 2015

Sadly, I don't think a group of vintage watch enthusiasts or a coalition of watch repairers is going to influence a global company making 1.5 billion Swiss Francs profit a year.

ulackfocus likes this.
  14. Habitant Oct 16, 2015

Remind me again, who do they make the 1.5 billion CHF out of?
    But anyway, you're right, we probably shouldn't bother…

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 16, 2015

I would bet it's mostly people buying new watches.

16. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

Mostly in China. They certainly didn't make 1.5 billion off you. Or me. Or most watch collectors for that matter. Watch collectors are a teeny tiny percentage of the luxury watch market, and at least half of watch collectors buy vintage / pre-owned watches.

Keep on fighting that good fight though while telling yourself your gonna make a difference.

SwissZ likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

Too bad that this is too long to fit into a custom avatar message:

“Virtue is persecuted by the wicked more than it is loved by the good.” - Don Quixote

::stirthepot:: :p

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 16, 2015

Have filled the survey out

But can see where Dennis is coming from as should many that have been in the game long enough

image.jpeg

19. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

Hold the phone!!! I've got it! I have the absolute solution for this exact problem. Better sit down whilst I lay some sheer genius on y'all.....

WATCH COLLECTORS OF THE WORLD SHOULD UNITE - TO BUY SWATCH CORPORATION!!!!

SHAZAM! Voila!

.... because that's the ONLY way anyone on some puny watch forum will have a say about what Swatch does. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you can channel your energies towards something you have a chance of changing. Pick your battles people.

20. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 16, 2015

Swatch is listed on the Swiss stock exchange