Forums Latest Members

Watch clasp scratches - some advise please

1. AimForTheStars Oct 26, 2020

Hi guys. Looking at purchasing a used watch which has quite a few scratches on the clasp, these things do bother me, I know I’ll scratch it myself and that’s fine but when someone else has done it, it bothers me. May very well buy the unworn version but wanted to know if I could get these scratches out fully or if I will be left with marks if I get it done professionally? Help very much appreciated.

2DAEC42E-9AA7-472D-88ED-066A9F73F1A7.jpeg
  2. AimForTheStars Oct 26, 2020

*advice

3. rafabond Oct 27, 2020

Scotch brite

AimForTheStars and p4ul like this.
  4. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Oct 27, 2020

Google.

AimForTheStars and PRW like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 27, 2020

I would strongly recommend not using the procedure shown there. Using a wheel that is narrower than the surface you are refinishing can lead to a very poor result. You can very easily create an uneven surface that will require even more material removal (by someone who knows how to do the job properly) in order to make it even again.

If the scratches are deep, you should polish them out first...for example this bracelet came in with some engraving on the clasp:

[​IMG]

I used a hard felt buff with compound to remove the engraving and surrounding scratches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the appropriate satin finish wheel was used to apply the brushed finish:

[​IMG]

Remainder of the bracelet was also refinished - before and after:

[​IMG]

If you are just removing fairly light scratches as are shown in the first post, then using Scotchbrite is probably the least risky method.

Cheers, Al

DaveK and SurvivingJoe like this.
  6. JohnWoo Oct 27, 2020

Hi,
    Yes to Scotchbrite. I have used it to great effect. Take you time and don't use to much pressure to try for a quick result.
    When I've done I cover the clasp with Sellotape to stop further marking [needs replacing now and then]. Take time to place the tape and you can stop any bubble effect so no-one will notice. J.