Watch check: 1956 Seamaster Ref. 2846-3SC

Hi everyone,

Considering buying this watch. Does it seem legit/not refurbished?

Its 34mm, cal.501, has no recent service history but apparently is running fine.

Asking price is 900USD.

Cheers,
Andre

Looks legit, but damaged obviously.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback - Are you talking about around the inside of the case?

Cheers,
Andre

Case in pretty poor shape and I suspect the overexposed photos are hiding issues with the dial.

Like 1
I would definitely pass on this. The pictures are overexposed, which is a good trick to hide defects.

Even knowing this, the dial seems dirty - if you look around the Omega logo, there is some uneven staining, similar to around the 3 o’clock marker, below the hands as well. Maybe some water intrusion in the past, who knows. The various spots (plus all the ones you don’t really see) could make it look “dirty”. Surely less appealing than on pictures.

The case has also plenty of dings - look at 1, 10 o’clock, the lower right lug and the scratches on the other lugs. Pretty prominent, even if overexposed. Needless to say this will bother more than one pretty quickly.

I would definitely pass on this. The pictures are overexposed, which is a good trick to hide defects.

Even knowing this, the dial seems dirty - if you look around the Omega logo, there is some uneven staining, similar to around the 3 o’clock marker, below the hands as well. Maybe some water intrusion in the past, who knows. The various spots (plus all the ones you don’t really see) could make it look “dirty”. Surely less appealing than on pictures.

The case has also plenty of dings - look at 1, 10 o’clock, the lower right lug and the scratches on the other lugs. Pretty prominent, even if overexposed. Needless to say this will bother more than one pretty quickly.

I think smoker is more likely, the smoke seeps in through the crown and pools around anything raised. With that much staining it probably means the movement is going to be coated in tar unless it was serviced frequently.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback - Are you talking about around the inside of the case?

Cheers,
Andre
Inside and outside of the case, and the dial appears to have water damage. $900 is a solid budget for a vintage Seamaster, you don't have to buy an ugly duckling.

Like 1