Forums Latest Members

Watch case wrench recommendations

1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 17, 2018

Any particular watch case wrench better than another? Most basic case wrench looks to be $10-20. Am I missing anything here?

So I don’t clog up the “lastest” post deal, private watch sale forum restricted or open to all Omega forum enrollees.............

2. duc Jun 17, 2018

I have a cheapo and used it on a cheapo watch. It scratched the back of the case when it slipped out of the slots in the case back. No way would I use it on anything worthwhile. As a matter of fact, I won't even think about opening something nice on my own. No good could come from it.

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 17, 2018

You get what you pay for. I bought a $20 wrench on Amazon and it’s shit.

4. Dan S Jun 17, 2018

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 17, 2018

Thanks
    I know a good vise comes in handy working on handguns and rifles

6. Rman Jun 17, 2018

I also have this LG and like it.
    Tip: cut a piece of ziploc bag and put it between the wrench and caseback it makes it grippier and protects from scratches.:thumbsup:

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 17, 2018

Yea this one is well reviewed on Amazon. Round 90 bucks.

8. Dan S Jun 17, 2018

I will say that the technique you use is also very important, and as I mentioned above, holding the watch incorrectly is actually the biggest reason that the wrench slips out of the notches. If I'm really being careful, I will put the watch in a holder, and then put the holder in a vise.

duc likes this.
  9. Dan S Jun 17, 2018

You can also cover the back of the watch with a piece of clear packing tape before engaging the wrench. It won't protect against a major slip (which will rip through the tape), but it will shield the back from minor inadvertent scratches. I also use a pair of calipers with carbon fiber jaws instead of tool steel jaws, for the same reason.

The watchmakers are probably laughing as they read this, but we don't do this every day so we don't develop their level of coordination, so it's wise for us to take some extra precautions.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 17, 2018

Given that I have a watchmaker near by and most of what I own has been serviced, when I do sell I plan on just popping over there for a moment photo. I also am very heasitant to open my collection. Especially since the gaskets are new.

duc and Dan S like this.
  11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 17, 2018

Ahhhhh.....a gasket question. What are the gaskets usually made of? Are these hard to line up putting the case back on? All I really want to do is take a gander at a movement on a watch I have that has no pictorial history.

12. Gstp Jun 17, 2018

Glue a ordinary 6 sided nut (hardware) with any crazy glue / super glue to the case back and use a wrench from your toolbox. Remove the nut with acetone. Safest way

Dan S likes this.
  13. Dan S Jun 17, 2018

The gaskets are basically o-rings and they are in slots. They don't present any problems as long as you aren't completely careless.

14. Dan S Jun 17, 2018

This does work, and can be excellent for very stubborn cases since you can exert a lot of torque (I have even heard people claim to use an impact wrench). In my opinion it's usually overkill if you just practice a bit with a sacrificial watch case to develop some technique and confidence.

Larry S likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 17, 2018

I have been told / have read that every time one opens a case .. the gaskets need to be replaced. Bottom line ... on a watch for which I have spent $400 on service, I certainly will not be opening the cases to casually stare at the movement. Particularly since vintage are so sensitive moisture.

GuiltyBoomerang and Davidt like this.
  16. Dan S Jun 17, 2018

It's probably wise to replace gaskets if you are attempting to have a watertight watch. But most of us are probably not expecting to get our vintage watches wet, since the case-back is not necessarily the weak point with respect to water entry.

17. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 17, 2018

Pahawi likes this.
  18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 17, 2018

True ... even perspiration is deadly. Stem is usually the entry point.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2018

The only case back seals that need replacing every time a case back is removed are the hard plastic gaskets used on some press fit case backs.

For regular O-rings for a screw on case back, if they are not overly compressed, stretched, nicked, etc. they do not have to be replaced every time the case is opened. Note that before putting the case back on again, the gasket should be lubricated, and this does not help the watch seal, but prevents the gasket from getting stretched as the case back is tightened down.

Cheers, Al

20. ulackfocus Jun 17, 2018

Larry S likes this.