Forums Latest Members
  1. PhilF Sep 12, 2019

Ok, just acquired (will be delivered next week) a Seamaster 300 in blue w/bracelet and have what may be an obvious question. Let's say, you've gotten your Seamaster all sweaty & crusty and want to clean it up. Would it be reasonable to use a toothbrush, warm water and say, some Dawn dish soap and just brush it and the bracelet, rinse and dry it off?
    Good grief, it's water resistant to 1000ft, can't imagine that a weekly bath would have any deleterious effects, so what's the opinion here, is this a reasonable way to keep the case & bracelet clean? Possibly blowing it dry with a can of compressed air, or just wiping it off and wearing it and let body heat evaporate any residual water. My Speedmaster, I remove the bracelet, wash it and wipe the case with a damp cloth. The Seamaster (2018) METAS version seems to be "everything" proof, so I'd like to just give it an occasional bath, reasonable or possibly harmful? I appreciate and will certainly listen to any advice from those here who have possibly done this. BTY, I use Dawn because of all the wildlife rescue situations where it's a lifesaver.

2. NGO1 Sep 12, 2019

I simply use a microfiber towel to wipe down my watches after each wear. Less chance of scratching the metals.

Jerseyhammer and Junta like this.
  3. nmttd2 Sep 12, 2019

I have used soft soap.. warm water to lather my watch. Then I use compressed air to blow away the water. I also used a “sun shine” cloth for my gold links. My watch is 4.5 years old and still looking good.

7551F8A3-842F-402C-983A-38DAAD28D3A9.png A097F67D-13C3-485D-8324-D8D3DCA7DECA.png
    PhilF likes this.
  4. JeremyS Sep 13, 2019

Dawn and a toothbrush with soft bristles every week or other week sounds perfectly fine. Depends on how hot the weather is, and how much you perspire. I actually use a Sonicare, which does a better job of cleaning the gunk out from the bracelet, but soaking the watch for a half hour or so before brushing would likely be as effective. Just make sure to thoroughly rinse all of the soap from the case, bezel and bracelet. Otherwise, it could build-up and stick to dirt and grime down the road. I also use compressed air to blow out the water from between the links and around the bezel. Wipe with a soft cotton or microfiber towel.

PhilF likes this.
  5. PhilF Sep 13, 2019

Thanks so much, I appreciate the advice and your experience, I guess I was on the right track, nice to have confirmation I was going in the right direction.

6. JeremyS Sep 13, 2019

No sweat—and recommend using a new soft bristle tooth brush rather than one that’s been used with toothpaste previously. Toothpaste has abrasives mixed in with it, and that residue can scratch your watch’s finish.

7. PhilF Sep 13, 2019

Never thought of that, you are correct, toothpaste is indeed an abrasive, I have several soft-bristled new samples from my dentist, I'll use them. Quick thinking, thanks!

8. Barchettaman Sep 14, 2019

My blue Seamaster 300m came up nicely after a wash in diluted APC, agitated with a brand new 1” paintbrush, followed by a good going over with a Cape Cod cloth and a new microfiber cloth.

They’re lovely things. Enjoy the watch.

PhilF likes this.