Forums Latest Members

Was without a UG for less than 10 days...

1. Flatfoot Jan 4, 2018

Hello All, I'm new to OF. This UG subthread has really drawn me in with the knowledge and willingness to share that you all demonstrate.

Over Christmas, I gave my middle son, age 27, a 3 subdial Compax 52217 that I have had for a few years. I have been able to spark interest in old mechanical movement watches in each of my 3 adult sons by periodically giving them a watch. (Funny how that might do it...huh?) I had bought this Compax from a dealer in Europe, and it seemed to be an honest if somewhat tired example. It runs nicely and accurately and the chrono function worked just as it should. The original dial has a lot of fading and, shall we say patina, but still is quite attractive in my view. In my opinion, it was and is a good starter example for a gold vintage chronograph. This UG is his first "old" vintage watch, first gold watch and I know he will take good care of it. Due to some file issues, I can't yet post a photo, but I will once those issues are sorted.

So after our 5 children departed following our Christmas gathering, I began to really miss not having a UG in my stash. I don't regret giving my son the watch at all, but I was twitching a bit - If you know what I mean. Consequently, since Christmas, I've been on the prowl for a nice, original UG chrono to bring an example back into my collection.

Last night I pulled the trigger and bought a lovely 1930's era Compur from bgrisso, a member here. He had it advertised here in Private Sales, and upon reading the advert, seeing the photos and the follow-up comments, I was hooked. We put the deal together in short order. The lovely, patinated dial with roman numerals, and tiny Fab Suisse, the blued hands and wonderful case, inner shroud and crown all speak to me. All the visual elements are just so nicely balanced against one another. Perhaps with a bit of luck, I may carefully build from this example to broaden the UG collection going forward.

So this watch stays within the OF community. My thanks to bgrisso, the UG sub-forum folks, and Omega Forums for making this possible.

Compur 1 (2).jpg
    micampe, Larry S, ELV web and 18 others like this.
  2. billving Jan 4, 2018

Very nice

Flatfoot likes this.
  3. bgrisso Jan 4, 2018

Welcome to the forums! You are building your UG collection on a very solid foundation.

Flatfoot likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 4, 2018

Glad you bought it! (Because it tested my willpower) Congrats and welcome!

Edited Jan 5, 2018
    Flatfoot likes this.
  5. Florent Jan 5, 2018

Congrats for buying this really nice watch :) Caution, UG is really addictive :p

jumpingsecond, Flatfoot and Larry S like this.
  6. Flatfoot Jan 5, 2018

Thank you all. Glad to know I'm among other Co-dependent UG addicts...

I've asked my son for a wrist shot of the '46 UG Compax I gave him at Christmas. Hope to see and post that photo soon.

7. Flatfoot Jan 5, 2018

My son was wearing his UG today. A nice wrist shot. Yeah, he's a lefty.

536874689 (2).jpg
    MarktheTime, Dre, chronoboy64 and 3 others like this.