Was this dial replaced?

I learned a lot about the 2541.80 before purchasing to ensure I bought a good, genuine model. I recently purchased a 2541.80 after waiting to see one in person. I've since discovered an oddity with the dial and serial number year that doesn't make sense to me. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me understand the situation.

It's my first Omega, and I was pretty certain it was authentic. Seller was reputable, I've never seen a fake of a 2541.80 reported. Typical giveaways on other model fakes such as date window, font of dates, sharp corners of bezel numbers, position of the helium valve, all look correct. When I purchased it, I knew the dial was the Luminous version, so I expected it to be 1998 or newer. What I didn't realize at the time of purchase was that the 5553xxxx serial number meant it was a 1995-1997 era, which used Tritium.

I'm not sure if it may have had a dial replaced. Its Luminova has a patina, as expected for a 20+ year-old watch. It is very bright for only a few seconds after using a UV light, fades almost entirely within 10 seconds, and basically nothing left after a minute.

The only oddities I noticed at purchase time were the brushing marks on the sides of the watch and the circular brushing on the case back were not there, but I figured this was due to someone over-polishing it. I also wondered if the bezel and/or bracelet were replaced because they have less signs of wear yet the watch had been polished extensively. I'd like to know what others think of the dial vs serial dating and its condition.

I'll attach photos of the watch in various lighting conditions to show details and flaws. Many of the photos are max zoom with the phone camera, which seems to have caused some oddities in the photos, let me know if you'd like other specific photos.

Thanks.

om13.png om12.png om11.jpg om10.jpg om9.jpg om8.jpg om7.jpg om6.jpg om5.jpg om4.jpg om3.jpg om2.jpg om1.jpg
Edited:

You have a full tritium 2541.80. I don't really understand what's your concern ? Why dial replacement ? To your description everything is original on the contrary.

It's a tritium watch - nothing wrong with it.

It's possible you're assuming that because there is no "T" marking on the dial, something is wrong here. but that's clearly tritium, not luminova- and Omega wasn't always on top of having the dials marked "T" on the Bond seamasters (very consistent on Speedies though).

See this post from @padders where he shares another seamaster with tritium lume not marked "T" and talks about it.

Your watch very much appears genuine and all things considered, has aged beautifully. I wouldn't be concerned about it- it's an attractive piece and definitely one that should get time on your wrist.

EDIT: That thread is an interesting read. My takeaway is that the regulations for marking tritium or not didn't cover lower levels of tritium, which is why some dials aren't marked.
Edited:

... I just read up now that Tritium reacts to UV. I had no idea. I thought only Luminova would react, but indeed I'm now seeing people discuss that tritium will glow bright only for a few seconds when exposed to UV.

Two other questions, the bezel doesn't align perfectly, is that known to happen over years of use? And any thoughts if the bezel, bracelet, or other pieces were replaced? The Tritium on the hands haven't patina'd as much as the markers.

... I just read up now that Tritium reacts to UV. I had no idea. I thought only Luminova would react, but indeed I'm now seeing people discuss that tritium will glow bright only for a few seconds when exposed to UV.

Two other questions, the bezel doesn't align perfectly, is that known to happen over years of use? And any thoughts if the bezel, bracelet, or other pieces were replaced?

it's the weakly phosphorescent (or perhaps strongly flourscent, or both) compound technically- UV light is doing exactly the same thing the radioactive tritium did- imparting energy to a phosphorescent compound to make it give off light. Just, tritium did it continuously (hence the steady glow). The phosphorescent compound (pre luminova, ZnS) just needs energy to give off light. The purpose of moving to luminova was to allow light sources to impart a longer glow- which is why you get a short glow from UV light--- UV light will impart a much stronger, longer glow to luminova.

Regarding the bezel- that's likely normal from years of use. I've had a newer gen seamaster that had a similar issue (bezel was just barely offset to the left from 12). Your bezel's lume pip seems to match the dial lume, so I doubt it's been replaced. Everything looks good to me!

Also- welcome to the forum.
Edited:

Tritium itself does not react to UV. Tritium emits beta particle that causes the fluorescent material (the yellowish stuff) to glow. The same fluorescent material also glows under UV.

... And any thoughts if the bezel, bracelet, or other pieces were replaced? The Tritium on the hands haven't patina'd as much as the markers.

Hands may have been replaced during a service, they look luminova to me. Do they glow longer and brighter than the dial?

Hands may have been replaced during a service, they look luminova to me. Do they glow longer and brighter than the dial?

Good catch. Feel like I have seen replacement hands on a number of these seamasters fairly regularly, were the hands prone to corrosion?

No, 99% sure they are original. The grain of the lume on these tritium hands is a bit more coarse, and it has a bit of a green tint to it.

it's the weakly phosphorescent (or perhaps strongly flourscent, or both) compound technically- UV light is doing exactly the same thing the radioactive tritium did- imparting energy to a phosphorescent compound to make it give off light. Just, tritium did it continuously (hence the steady glow). The phosphorescent compound (pre luminova, ZnS) just needs energy to give off light. The purpose of moving to luminova was to allow light sources to impart a longer glow- which is why you get a short glow from UV light--- UV light will impart a much stronger, longer glow to luminova.

Regarding the bezel- that's likely normal from years of use. I've had a newer gen seamaster that had a similar issue (bezel was just barely offset to the left from 12). Your bezel's lume pip seems to match the dial lume, so I doubt it's been replaced. Everything looks good to me!

Also- welcome to the forum.

Thank you. This is the first of several Omega's to come for me.

No, same duration.

Edit: Actuially, Hands glow about 10% more and last 15% longer, but still trail off same general rate as the markers. Maybe just a different batch of Tritium or manufacturer date? There's no glow from hands or markers at about 45 seconds.
Edited:

Yep this is all absolutely standard ageing of dial and hands for a tritium model of that era. I have a 556x serial mid size that has aged almost identically. It does react to light for a short time but if you had a later luminova version side by side with it you'd see it's way dimmer by comparison.

PXL_20210226_142110796.jpg

Welcome to OF, good post with very good pictures of a very nice watch. :thumbsup: