Forums Latest Members
  1. Horologist Dec 4, 2017

The pictured dial comes from an Omega caliber 265 and was considering getting it redialed by professionals. Most collectors prefer originals like I do, BUT in this case for safety reasons, I sense that this dial happens to have radium gilt between the numerals. I tried to remove the gilt between the numerals by immersing it in a solution, which I am usually successful for cleaning dials, but no matter how much I rubbed with a cotton bud, it just wouldn't come off. I tried with the numeral 2, but it just came up like a shiny gold foil like very fine glitter which I could not get a good photo to show the clarity. As you can see the batons also have some gold glitter on them, but the dauphine hands (not picutred) have no radium on them being solid straight pieces. I have searched countless links on radium dials, but somehow I cannot find any thing on gold glitter type of radium paint. Worse still I cannot find any way to remove it. Before I pulled the trigger in sending it off, I would appreciate any input from any of you who have dealt with these type of dials? Thanks in advance!!!!

omega-radium-dial.jpg
  2. bubba48 Dec 4, 2017

This dial is not original but a bad redial.and in my opinion there is no radium on it.

3. fjf Dec 4, 2017

Horologist likes this.
  4. Horologist Dec 4, 2017

Thank you Buba1 and fjf for your input!!! Much appreciated!!!

I learn something new everyday. I wast puzzled with that that dial as I was unaware that they also used gold glitter in the numerals. I know that radium paint also came in a gold colour, but was unaware of gold glitter. I cleaned it up and had almost a reflective nature to it. It was hard to photograph, but I am sure you know what I am talkling about. Help from you guys can assist in making good decisions. Thanks again!!