Forums Latest Members

Was thinking of buying any thoughts? Omega “Two-Tone” Calatrava

1. DG GW Feb 17, 2018

Was thinking of buying any thoughts?
    Omega “Two-Tone” Calatrava
    Description: Offered here is an attractive Omega “Calatrava”-style time-only watch, housed in an 18kt Rose Gold fixed bars case, with a lovely two-tone gold dial. The watch dates to the 1940s, and is in excellent condition. The case does not show signs of over polishing. The dial is devoid of any serious flaws or marks, only showing light patina consistent with the age of the watch.
    Selling for $1750.00 USD

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 18, 2018

Link or pictures?

3. DG GW Feb 18, 2018

ouh crude I forgot the photos little details!

Fab.jpg fab2.jpg Fab3.jpg Fab4.jpg Fab5.jpg :whipped:::facepalm2:::oops:

Syrte likes this.
  4. mac_omega Feb 18, 2018

This watch was already discussed here...

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 18, 2018

I'd be more than a little concerned that the regulator is cranked over so far that its touching the case. not a good sign at all, that and a missing movement retaining screws says it would need a service. Too much money.

and that face is almost too good for that age...

6. WhatYourWatchSay Feb 18, 2018

Yeah, that regulator arm is definitely worrisome. Anytime I see something like that I wonder just how badly the watch is running and just how much work it will take to get it running well.

7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 18, 2018

Hi
    Looks to be a Nice cal 28.... Worse case you need a new bal complete and two part regulator an a watchmaker.....

It is a challenge

Bill

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 18, 2018

I owned this watch a couple years back...nice dial. The regulator was not like that when I sold it though. :unsure:

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 18, 2018

I beg to differ about the dial-- there are many very pristine original dials from the 1930s-1940s.
    I was going to say it looks fine to me and seeing that Kyle owned it was further confirmation.

Can’t opine on the mechanical issues though.....

Fritz likes this.
  10. mario linus Feb 18, 2018

Very nice original dial

11. DG GW Feb 18, 2018

I think I changed my mind. Thank you every one for saving me from project. I must say it is a little embarrassing that I missed the problems with the moment screw missing and the regulator so a skew. I just get so excited when I find a new watch. Then I get scared I am going to miss getting the watch. Learning though. Thank you every one for your replys.

12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 18, 2018

Agreed, I've seen some very nice dials from that era, but without seeing it in person I'm always cautious about old dials which look that good... mind you, if its got some reliable history, like some history with a respect member, thats different.

So the question is... just how reliable is this @kyle L character??? He's not one of your closet Timex types is he?

Syrte and kyle L like this.