Forums Latest Members
  1. Lurk41 Oct 18, 2019

Hi there!

While looking on my search notification today, one of the suggestions I received was a "Vintage Omega De Ville Chronograph". I looked at it and... Omega 146.017. 1400€ (yup, no typo here)

I saw that model a few time on the Internet and only know that 1/ I find it beautiful 2/ this one was waaaay under the average price. The dial is in bad shape though. Apart from that, I am no expert at all of that model, as it was not supposed to be in my price range... Usually I take my time and search for documentation about the model, its several variations, most common fakes that exists, check every detail of the watch, etc. (and most of the time end up buying nothing because those good enough cost too much to my taste :D)

But for once, I thought I had to decide fast because this opportunity may not come twice . So I just did a couple of checks (vendor rating, paypal, dial, hands, case good enough, and serial in similar range than others 146.017 because I remembered they did not build a lot of Cal.930). Also, I thought that for this price, I'll ask Omega for a service and get a new dial (as long as they give me back original hands and dial). Honestly I do not care too much about having a service dial+hands on the watches I wear, as long as the price reflects it (but I won't change a nice patina against a service dial)

So, here it is (close enough... I should receive it next week so only a few pics from the listing for now)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I think the varnish bubbled or something, and also some of it was removed and it took the prints with it. It is a shame because the color seems lovely :(

Now... I saw, after I bought it, a thread in which Al was saying Omega do not have dials anymore, and it was quite difficult to find them. Posted in 2014, so I guess no improvement since? Or Omega miraculously started to redo some, just in case?
    If I cannot get a nice dial (service or not), what would be best? Redial? I know it is usually seen as a bad thing, but here I do not see patina, I see damage... I guess Omega can do it as they also offer full watch restoration, but it won't be cheap. Any recommendation about someone in Europe that would be up to the task? Also, I have absolutely no idea of what a honest price will be for a very good redial... My guess is "not cheap, but cheaper than Omega"

So, was I too thrilled in the end? and one with a good dial would have cost the same or less? Or was it a good price but I'll struggle to give it back its glory?

One last question: the steel bracelet that came with it was ref 1069/524, right? Is there others that could suit it well? I understand lugs are 19mm wide, but I have no idea about Omega bracelet references and their width :D
    (Do not get me wrong: I love the look of the 1069/524 and it seems even more perfect with this De Ville. It is just to have some alternative in case I do not find one)

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 18, 2019

Omega does not refinish dials, it's contracted out and I have yet to see a good one come on one of their "restorations".

You're likely in for a long wait for a dial.

Benbradstock likes this.
  3. airansun In the shuffling madness Oct 18, 2019

I’ve collected some Seamaster chronographs from the sixties. My number one factor in evaluating a candidate is dial condition. These dials deteriorate easily and there’s no restoring them. Really. The restoration attempts are easy to spot and always sad to see.

I recommend looking for one of those 146.017s with a really good dial. A really good dial.

A couple of mine as examples of what’s still possible to find, if you’re patient and willing to pay for what much better can cost. None of these was more than $3.2k.
    E853E790-E020-4E8A-9525-E688F966C4BB.jpeg 2AE83D51-920F-4EA6-B3F6-D97DA14D3051.jpeg

The watches I have that are significantly flawed are hard for me to wear — I tend to wince. Unless the deterioration is slight and ‘patina’.

Edited Oct 18, 2019
  4. aginoz Oct 19, 2019

Hard to tell what you have from the limited pics so far. The chrono hand is bent and the reset pusher looks loose. The deterioration on the dial suggest moisture and oil. Need to see pics of the movement to determine if that requires heavy lifting - hopefully not. Re the dial - you are in for a lengthy search for an original replacement. Ebay and this forum are your best bets.

Benbradstock likes this.
  5. Lurk41 Oct 19, 2019

Yes, I'll need to provide more pics when I get it... My main worries are about the dial. The movement looks good enough for me and sold as "perfectly working" (whatever it means...:D), that is why I did not post pictures initially

I think the hand is OK, it is only the tip and "vertically" bent to follow the curvature at the end of the dial. I do not think it is twisted or incorrect, but I'll be glad if someone owning this model could confirm... Good catch about the loose pusher! (again, not too much worried as I thought about Omega to service it, but I did not saw it ;))

I hope some people will answer with slightly better news about redial/availability at Omega.. But I understand chances are slim... (still 39 posts needed before a WTB post ^^). Out of curiosity, what would be the price range if one pops out?

In the meantime here 2 pics of the movement, still from the listing (1 with the caseback in background)
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

6. Lurk41 Oct 24, 2019

Ok, I got the watch and even had time to test its function (everything works but the start/stop is a bit hard and the crown operation has some play) and its power reserve (around 42h instead of 48).

@aginoz the chrono hand is indeed bent to the right where it also drops to follow the dial. About 1/5s offset, well spotted! :thumbsup: :(

The strap it came with is quite ugly TBH. Grandpa look... The buckle is ok though I am not sure that it is genuine.
    So, just to see the watch fitted with a better looking strap, I borrowed one for my reduced. So, do not worry if you think it is 1mm too short, because it is ;)
    Now for the pics:
    _DSC0821_DxO.jpg
    _DSC0834_DxO.jpg _DSC0836_DxO.jpg _DSC0827_DxO.jpg _DSC0829_DxO.jpg _DSC0830_DxO.jpg _DSC0831_DxO.jpg
    And for the strap...
    _DSC0832_DxO.jpg

Edited Oct 24, 2019
  7. Dan S Oct 24, 2019

I suggest you just sell it and take your medicine.

8. krogerfoot Oct 24, 2019

I'll express what I'm sure is a minority viewpoint and confirm why no one asks me for advice around here, but I say keep it. Those two blank expanses on the dial are strangely compelling, and even if the dial were in good shape, it would still have that ludicrous date window eating up half of the seconds counter. You have a unique watch there, and it would probably be less fun to try to find a buyer for it than to keep it alive and on your wrist. A sympathetic watchmaker could help you keep it from corroding further if the movement is water-damaged. You might as well get some enjoyment out of it. If it keeps time, it'll be like Willie Nelson's guitar.
    images.jpeg

9. Engee Oct 25, 2019

I’m with you I think. Sure, it’s not a reference model but it’s real. It has lived a rough life and it’s now in the hands of someone who will take care of it, hopefully. With a little work it can, I assume, be back to full working order, and there’s is no question that even as it is it’s a beautiful timepiece. That movement is captivating.

dalen26, mozartman, Molko and 3 others like this.
  10. Lurk41 Oct 25, 2019

Thanks for the advices!
    To be clear, selling it was never part of the plan ;). I do not need the money, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it (never gamble with money you may need is rule #1), and worst case scenario it would cost me around 2k€ for the watch + service (solving any potential issue with the movement + loose pushers and crown). After service, it'll either sit on a drawer waiting for a good dial or be worned following some cosmetic fixes. That are the only 2 options.
    The worst part is the minute subcounter, this needs to be fixed without ruining everything else. I think I can live with the 2 blank area

My initial questions were more about:
    - was it a fair price despite the unobtainable dial, or next time I should pass?
    - while I am searching for that unobtainable dial, what solution do I have for the current one so it will be at least OK to wear it?
    When reading forums, it seems like it is impossible to find good dial craftmen... For sure they exists when you see all the hand-painted dial that exists on some high end brands, and I do not think they hired them all :unsure:

WYO_Watch likes this.
  11. ChrisN Oct 25, 2019

These people do very nice work with dials that are not recoverable, like yours. I have used them for customer dials but, never an Omega. The work here is very good, in my opinion, even though I much prefer original dials:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/the...snt-anything-here-for-you.89289/page-2#post-1

Hope this helps, Chris

12. JwRosenthal Oct 25, 2019

It really does come down to if you can live with a refinished dial. I personally can’t live with a damaged dial, something would have to happen with it. I got a regular Seamaster Deville in similar shape to yours, paid for the service and a redial. They did a nice job, and to the layman it looks original, but I knew it wasn’t and I never wore it...it took some of the pride of ownership out of it. I sold it to a friend who loved it and didn’t care it was a redial- so win-win. But I will never get a watch that needs a redial again- even at a screaming deal...just not worth the hassle.
    I honestly think you won’t find a better dial for that watch-period. It was not a popular model, and they aren’t hot on the breaker market like you would see with a Seamaster chrono with a 321 (scrap them to service an Ed white worth 3x).
    Your options IMO are refinish the dial (which never look right on chrono’s with outer chapter rings) and be content with a redial, or flip it to someone who likes the wabi-sabi look and wait for one that’s in better shape.

Just my .02

13. Lurk41 Oct 26, 2019

Thansk again for the answers. I won't mind a redialed watch as long as it was done close to perfection, because in that case I'll see it as a restoration, not a redial.

@ChrisN Thanks for the link. It looks indeed way better than before, even if I can a few things that won't be ok for me. I know I'll be a pain in the *** to deal with :D and I'm looking for something closer to the original.
    Out of curiosity, how much did it cost for the dial work only? So I can have an idea of what to expect for what price range..

Also, I saw that Classic Watch Repair do some nice dial work. While scratch and chip repairs look all fantastic, there is not much pictures of "heavy work" on a dial, or only very low res (and full reprint)... Did anyone have feedback about their dial restoration? I saw the thread about their work on bracelets but that's it...

Otherwise, I can still ask Parmigiani to do it. After all when you can restore that or a Fabergé egg, it is not a small dial that'll cause you trouble. But I may not like the price they ask :D

dalen26 likes this.
  14. Screwbacks Oct 26, 2019

excellent analogy. i concur. keep it that way and enjoy. love the character. ;)

15. cristos71 Oct 26, 2019

To answer your question, "Yes" you were too thrilled. It looks like a money pit to me and IMHO you'd have been better off spending the €2K-€2.5K it would have taken to score one in excellent condition.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  16. S.H. Oct 26, 2019

I saw this listing, it took me 3 seconds to go from yay to nay... I did not even think it could sell at this price level. If you aren't a pro things like those cost more in the end than a good one, and always look a bit sad. Life is too short to spend it bothering about half destroyed (and costly) dials imho.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  17. ChrisN Oct 26, 2019

I doubt you'll get significantly better to be honest. The dials I've had done were far simpler and their work was quick and not too expensive -you'd need to talk to them to find out the cost. Send them an email as they got back to me quickly. The customer watches I was working on had completely destroyed dials so, this was a terrific option to have and they were obscure watches.

Finding an original dial might take an age... Try asking the watchmaker you will use for the work as we all have contacts. I can't think of anyone who will have one of these, though.

Cheers, Chris

Shabbaz and JwRosenthal like this.
  18. hick8711 Oct 26, 2019

I agree with wear it as is. I’ve bought a watch that needed some cosmetic work and by the time I went through the trouble of getting it fixed all I could think about when wearing it was what a pain it was. Just consider it like Graham Fowler’s sub- unique. E739AC86-06D8-479E-A42C-CEB75864DEA1.png

19. Lurk41 Oct 26, 2019

All listing I run across were about €1k above your range, and it goes up to €5k for very good specimen sold by premium dealers (ok 5k is way overpriced, that I know).
    The differences between the list prices and the actual ones are that huge? ::shy::

20. jeppehh Oct 26, 2019