Forums Latest Members
  1. nivlac Nov 23, 2019

Given modern watches are pretty reliable how important is it to get a factory warranty ? Wouldn't brand new Omega watches have no issues whatsoever? Is it like buying a new Lexus or Mercedes? I have done both multiple times so I have some good ideas when it comes to cars. Ibam asking because this private seller who has had his watch for only 10 months is telling his watch but no paper work. Thanks on advance.

2. asrnj77 Nov 23, 2019

Your potential seller may have had his watch for ten months but it doesn’t mean he’s the original owner. While it’s possible somebody lost or disposed of the warranty card or could also mean its fake or stolen.

As it relates to your car example my new Jeep Wrangler was at the shop 3 times for warranty issues within the first year. It wasn’t major stuff but it needed warranty work nonetheless. Is it likely that your watch will need service? Probably not but a bigger question is why a new watch doesn’t have the card anymore?

nivlac, Sidnos and DaveK like this.
  3. Canuck Nov 23, 2019

The old adage is that you believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear. Particularly with secondary market watches. If the factory provided a warranty when the watch was new, it was the buyers protection If something went wrong. No paper work, no protection! Chances are the watch is third or fourth hand, so no paper. Suggest you don’t buy it.

nivlac, Sidnos and DaveK like this.
  4. Dan S Nov 23, 2019

Fishy story from the seller. Let me guess ... the paperwork was lost when he moved houses. :rolleyes:

nivlac likes this.
  5. Evitzee Nov 23, 2019

Any watch less than three years old that has no original documentation is suspect in my book. I've yet to hear a compelling reason for lack of paperwork, just phony reasons. Akin to 'my dog ate my homework'.

nivlac likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 23, 2019

But price would negate all worries mind you.

7. Jonathan40 Nov 24, 2019

The price a new <3 years old watch was being offered for should indeed reflect completeness and condition.
    I agree with Evitzee in that I would be suspicious of the story, and afraid I was handing / buying some that had been stolen somewhere down the line. This would not sit well with me.
    To be perfectly honest I would entertain a private sale of a new’ish watch without it being complete.

8. nivlac Nov 24, 2019

Ah.. stolen watches..never thought of that and pretty scary.
    Thanks everyone for great information. I guess I was just too naive. I have never bought a watch online but so far based on what I read on forums most people seem to be trustworthy. Really appreciate all your advice.

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 24, 2019

+1 ....Late model watch with no box or papers and no good explanation? Run away.

10. Kjian414 Nov 26, 2019

The warranty is pretty much insurance. Using your example if I buy a S class and a month later the engine light comes on because the engine isn’t properly lubricated (or whatever) then it’s covered under warranty. I hear the loosing paper during moving a lot so when I hear that it raises red flags. I know for my mom she used to not understand the value of the paperwork (would throw them away or put them somewhere random and forget about it) but now i’ve Educated her on the importance of paperwork :)

11. Professor Nov 26, 2019

I still have the original boxes, inner and outer, and all the paperwork that came with the Seamaster Deville dad was presented in 1968 including the warranty.
    Dad never filled anything out so I guess the warranty was no good even back then.
    I suspect these warranties were at most for life of the original owner.
    Would such a warranty be still in effect after the watch has been resold or inherited even once?

PS
    In threads on recent brands we often see where a member had to send their recent purchase back for retification of some flaw or other or get a replacement watch so I guess getting the paperwork filled out is of great value in some cases.
    I never got around to filling out the warranty on my Orient, couldn't figure out how to do it since it required the name and address of the store where I bought it and despite it being brand new I got it cheap online.

Edited Nov 26, 2019
  12. Canuck Nov 26, 2019

Be certain no Omega produced Omega will be warranted by the Swatch Omega company. Warranty or otherwise.