Forums Latest Members

Waltham pocket watch with Peseux 330 cal.

1. ALinares Aug 26, 2019

Hi everyone, as a watch fan I never refuse a nice piece and I'd like to introduce you my last acquisition:

IMG_5532-2.jpeg P330.jpg e939aeba-e03b-42a7-b045-f4499e002b5b.jpg
    Sorry for these pictures, were made with a phone camera, but as soon I get the watch from the service, I'll share decent ones.

As you can see this is a Peseux 330 caliber, unfortunately I can´t found information about year of production. Ranfft DB says 1965 but thats all I found. If any have more information about Peseux calibers, please please share it. I’m sure that you understand how important is that kind of information for those of us who love these watches.

Thanks for your comments.

mhkzero and DaveK like this.
  2. Canuck Aug 26, 2019

This watch appears to me to be approximately an 11 1/2 ligne wrist watch movement in a pocket watch case. Hence no seconds hand. Waltham folded as a manufacturer in about the mid-1950s. I believe a version of Waltham remained in business for some time, marketing watches with Swiss movements in them. By the mid 1970s, quartz watches had pretty much overwhelmed the mechanical watch market. Ranfft indicates this Peseux movement was in production circa 1965. With no serial number on the movement, and no serial #/date table to refer to, my guess is between 1965 and 1970.

Having re-read the Ranfft archive, it indicates that, in 1965, a version of this movement was introduced that had an adjustable stud carrier. The subject watch doesn’t have the adjustable stud carrier. So it might be a bit earlier than 1965. Say, the early 1960s. Until someone that actually knows how to date this watch comes along, a guess will have to suffice.

Edited Aug 26, 2019
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 26, 2019

Cool looking piece.

I can hear Jerry Seinfeld in my head as I write this, but does one wear a pocket watch, or use a pocket watch? Or, is it some other term altogether?

4. ALinares Aug 27, 2019

Completely agree, it's an 11 1/2 and, according to Ranfft, it must be from 1965 or earlier by the fixed stud carrier.
    Which gives us a very indefinite range since we do not know the year on which it began to manufacture.

5. ALinares Aug 27, 2019

Considering the chains and Fobs that were available for these pocket watches, I would say that you, definitely, wear the watch and not only use it. Here some examples. All of them are jewelleys and one wear jewells not use us them. I think.
    Imagen1.png

DaveK likes this.
  6. Professor Aug 27, 2019

I always thought "Carry" was the most common term. One usually carries things in a pocket. One would wear the fob or chain but carry the watch.
    The lapel or pendant watches were of course worn, being in plain sight.
    I have a fitted leather case for carrying a cheap quartz pocket watch on a belt. You'd wear the case but carry the watch. Its not fully exposed though the dial is visible.
    The watch bit the dust long ago, but I kept the case .

Waltesefalcon and DaveK like this.
  7. ALinares Aug 27, 2019

Irrefutable opinion ...
    Agree.

8. mhkzero Jan 27, 2020

Greetings. I have recently acquired one of these pieces.
    What would you value this piece at? I want to make sure I was in the right range when I purchased it.
    Thanks in advance

9. Waltesefalcon Feb 12, 2020

In the way of purchase price, this particular watch isn't going to command much. I'm guessing you could get one for between $35 and $75US depending on your location.

mhkzero likes this.
  10. mhkzero Feb 14, 2020

This is on par for what I paid. Thank you.

11. Waltesefalcon Feb 14, 2020

You're welcome, happy to be of service.