Forums Latest Members

Wall Street / Spotify #fail

1. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 4, 2018

This sooooooooo much... American... ::facepalm1::

[​IMG]
    Spotify Is Greeted by Wall Street With a Swiss Flag, Even Though It’s From Sweden

"Frankie, we need a Swesomething flag today" :D

Hilarous.

2. Xeer Apr 4, 2018

Murica! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

frederico likes this.
  3. mr_yossarian Apr 4, 2018

Swedeserland!

eugeneandresson likes this.
  4. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Apr 4, 2018

Maybe we just don’t care. Same thing. Starts with an S. Lol.

mr_yossarian, ulackfocus and kov like this.
  5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Apr 4, 2018

mydeafcat and kov like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 4, 2018

Kazakh athlete wins gold in youth games in Saudi ...they play Kazakh anthem from "Borat".

7. ConElPueblo Apr 4, 2018

Seems like an American issue :D

In related events, I had been talking to a US eBay seller of an interesting watch, which ended up being bought by another forum member. I mentioned to the seller that I happened to know the one who ended up with the watch and he responded that he had actually wondered if I might know him, as the buyer was from the Netherlands.

I am from Denmark.

Euxinus, Davidt, Starman71 and 18 others like this.
  8. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Apr 4, 2018

Oh it is totally an American thing! But don't take offense, we don't know anything about most of our own cities/states/geography either. Americans are aware of about New York, LA, Florida, Texas, and Hawaii. Anything else is just flyover territory. :rolleyes:

Starman71, lando, gemini4 and 2 others like this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2018

I always knew the Swedes and Swiss were in it together , why I hedged my bets by buying both Omegas and Volvos :rolleyes:

switzerland-flag-8x5.jpg

10. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2018

Seems legit.

As you all know, as an English man, I'm on first name terms with the Queen. Or Liz as I like to call her. ;)

lando, Vicke, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  11. bazderome Apr 4, 2018

::facepalm1::

12. mydeafcat Apr 4, 2018

::facepalm1:: ::facepalm1:: ::facepalm2::
    Most - not all - American schoolchildren learn about their town/city, county, state and a little more about federal politics and history; an international and cultural context, it seems, is often missing. The most significant dates and occurrences in US history are discussed, of course, much like visiting the top landmarks when you travel (which sadly, many Americans don’t as passports are not owned by the majority of its citizens: +/- 42%). This is a failure of the education system. It continues, but I like to think the interweb has helped of late. The cynic in me thinks this narrow scope is an awesome way to bolster and maintain patriotism. In reality, it may be a lack of education funding and Betsy ‘couldn’t find China on a map of Asia’ DeVos is no help.

As a Canadian of a certain age, I recall joking about our American friends and cousins back in the 60s and 70s whose knowledge of their relative’s country (and biggest trading partner) was painfully limited and really quite comical; and now, 40 years on, not a hell of a lot has changed. Yes, yes, I know we Canadians are not that important on the world stage and that’s just fine. Not my point. This is more about knowing one’s place on this big blue marble we share. It’s embarrassing and sad when the NYSE, arguably the centre of the world’s financial markets, located in the heart of the World’s capital (I’m biased, I love NYC) can make a mistake like this. My $.02.::rant:

Edited Apr 4, 2018
    PEIslander and polytek like this.
  13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2018

I have met more than a few Brits that could not name all of the Counties in England and were further surprised that I could draw a map outlining and naming all of the US states . I am sure it cuts both ways.

14. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2018

There are counties outside of London? ;)

Starman71, Vicke, Kmart and 4 others like this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2018

Yes, but of little horological concern :D

16. TOTIZ Apr 4, 2018

Yep, it’s a bit like everything north of the Watford Gap being Scotland ;)
    As for the original post, perhaps the NYSE knows something that we don’t ..... yet :whistling:

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  17. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2018

You say that, but in Norfolk you can feel the time going backwards as soon as you cross the county line. ;)

Humptymarsbar likes this.
  18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 4, 2018

Ya'll sound the same to us! Actually the wife and I met a couple out in Yellowstone last fall and they were pleasantly surprised when I asked what part of Denmark they were from. For a just few nano seconds prior, I had to filter Dutch vs Danish in my brain.

19. ConElPueblo Apr 4, 2018

Dutch is a bit like Danish actually and when in the Netherlands, I can usually make out most of the signs, etc. It's a mixture of Danish, German and English pronounced by someone with a fishbone stuck in his throat.

sxl2004, michael22, Starman71 and 3 others like this.
  20. rcs914 Apr 4, 2018

Geeze... You would think they could have just popped down to the local Ikea and picked up the right flag.