Forums Latest Members

Wakmann Solar Chronograph - Valjoux 7733

1. RandR Jan 7, 2018

This came to me from my late father-in-law.
    He purchased this in Toronto at Eaton's, a major Canadian department store for over 100 years.
    Solar was their house brand and they sold watches from Wakmann, Rolex, etc... under the Solar name.
    Purchased around '71.
    Watch was serviced last year. Crystal had to be replaced as it was done, and yes I have scratched this one.
    Dial was untouched as it was in fine shape. Movement was serviced and worked perfectly for a while.
    Now the watch is running very fast, read 10 seconds in a minute, and the pushers are so full of junk they do not work. Seems like the finish on the case is wearing off at a quick pace now.
    Poor service job or something else at play?
    I was not harsh on the watch, the crystal was damaged by being slowly scraped against rough surface not from impact.
    Worth taking for another service?
    Also, thinking of having it re-cased, thoughts?

Thanks everyone.
    Cheers

Solar Dial.jpg Solar Movement.jpg Solar Case.jpg Solar Back.jpg
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 7, 2018

I pay $3-400 for a Chrono service where I live. Whoever did the service last year was rubbish.

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 7, 2018

My guess is that this is a 4-$600 watch ...

4. KJD Jan 11, 2022

Just now came across your post. I have the exact same watch. Currently in for service at a quoted cost of $400. Agree with previous comments this is probably a $4-600 watch. Maybe a little more with a proper service. I paid $300 for mine from a seller in Portugal 6 or 7 years ago. I've seen very few of these.

5. RandR Apr 3, 2022

6. RandR Apr 3, 2022

Nice, your watch would be the first other that is the same that I know of, can you add a photo of it? Interesting how the exact same watch when labelled as a Wakmann 332 23 is worth 3 to 4 times more. Think we got a deal because it runs very well after 50 years! What kind of shape is your case in? Mine is losing some of its plating which is collecting around the pushers and preventing them from being used, so the chronograph function is dormant right now. Thinking of sourcing a replacement case or having this one stripped and refinished.

7. KJD Apr 3, 2022

IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0087.jpg IMG_0085.jpg IMG_0086.jpg
    Hi. I've inserted some photos of my Solar/Wakmann. Since my last post I've been told by my watchmaker that the movement is in need of more service than he initially thought. Now up to estimate of $700-$900 (my fault as I was poking around in the movement and shouldn't have been). I've been trying to source a new Valjoux 7733 movement to replace the original to try to save the watch but likely going to cost $300-$500 plus the cost to install. Probably not worth it to me since my piece has no sentimental value. Just part of my collection of vintage chronographs. If you have any interest, I'd sell you mine for $200. Looks like my case may be somewhat better than yours. Minor plating loss on one of the lugs but otherwise pretty good. Dial is also in good shape as are the pushers. Regards, Kyle ([email protected])

8. ALEJANDRO BOVONE Jun 14, 2022

some expensive mistakes turned out of me messing around with timepieces without no mechanical knowledge at all. but hey, isn t it part of playing a bit as a kid? I remember having to sweep a bar s entire floor looking for a set of old hands for sports rolex. finally found them, lume a bit spoiled and the feeling of regret was intense.