Forums Latest Members

Visiting Tokyo / Nakano Broadway

1. jw0n Apr 10, 2018

I was in Tokyo, Japan last week for a holiday. The goal? Find a decently priced 3594. Naturally, I did some research, found that Jack Road and Kame-Kichi was located in a shopping complex called Nakano Broadway, and headed there. What ensued was an assault to the senses... all brands, modern and vintage, in massive volume.

Some pics... (excuse some of the non-Omegas, I was like a headless chicken, running around excited and taking pictures when I could remember... also pardon the lack of quality- taken with mobile phone and lighting in stores were less than ideal)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As luck would have it, no Replicas in sight. At Kame-Kichi, I came across several older Speedmasters that were intriguing. Some quick messages to some friends to seek some advise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But also at Kame-Kichi, I found a NOS Speedmaster Tintin. So then it was a debate between picking the 145.022 or the Tintin:

[​IMG]

Decision made:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 10, 2018

TinTin is such a cool modern Speedmaster, congrats :thumbsup:

that 6265 though ::love::

rb10chris likes this.
  3. Meme-Dweller Apr 10, 2018

Awesome pictures! I'm always amazed at how stores in Japan manage to stock so many hard-to-find vintage pieces in one place.

4. jw0n Apr 10, 2018

One visit, mind = blown. That same day, we had also moved from an Airbnb in Waseda, to a hotel in Shinjuku. So after purchasing the Tintin, we headed back to the hotel to deposit it safely. Once done, we headed out to browse the pre-owned stores there. Shinjuku has a huge variety of pre-owned stores that stock luxury goods - bags and purses, jewelry, watches. You name it, they have it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then, from out of nowhere... BAM!

[​IMG]

5. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 10, 2018

I must say the prices are quite high ! Or is it usual to ask for a discount and they count with it ?

6. stefman Apr 10, 2018

Wow! Always wanted to go there, didn’t know they have such a big selection. Amazing! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the Tintin

7. bazderome Apr 10, 2018

When I was in Japan asking for a discount was not really welcomed

kov likes this.
  8. rbob99 Apr 10, 2018

When I was at Jack Road and the other stores in Nakano Broadway I found the prices to be quite high, at least in comparison to forum prices.
    There was a NOS Tintin at Bic Camera for about $3K USD though.

9. jw0n Apr 10, 2018

Discounts are certainly not welcome and both Jack Road and Kame-Kichi did not entertain requests for any. In fact, the prices quoted are usually inclusive of taxes, so they are happy to refund tax. If you pay by credit card, there is a 3% surcharge, but this can be negotiated in some instances, depending on the sales person. I ended up paying about $3.5K for a NOS Tintin from Kame-Kichi.

With regards to the replica at a pre-owned shop in Shinjuku... I ended up getting it as well. I did the shameful and asked for more discount; they ended up reducing the listed price by ¥20,000 and not charging me the additional 3% surcharge for credit card.

[​IMG]

Since it was pre-owned, I did what I normally do - soak in a soda bath and cleaned it with toothbrush and soap after. I was surprised to see how little dirt appeared; seems as though the shop had cleaned the watch up one time, prior to leaving it on display. All in all, I am very satisfied with the few purchases I made when I was in Japan. Here's the small, happy, Japanese family:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bazderome Apr 11, 2018

Congrats for the Tintin but it seems very expensive for Tokyo !! Paid mine 2.9k$ about a month ago, New from AD and stamped on the day I purchased it !

11. Jerseyhammer Apr 13, 2018

Kid in a sweet shop springs to mind . Thanks for sharing

12. MrJKLFoams Apr 13, 2018

Great selection but price is insane. Used hulk for 14K aud!?

13. rafabond Apr 13, 2018

fantastic watches for sale, in New York I also found several stores with great watches. There is a high level. congratulations for that Tintin

14. IDXM Apr 14, 2018

Do tell.

15. demchocholips May 5, 2018

I love Nakano Broadway. In 2015, I bought my 105.012 there from Kame-Kichi. It was bargain priced and in very decent condition. I had to take photos of the watch to compare to speedmaster101 reference to make sure I was identifying the watch properly. The icing on the cake was returning to the US, declaring the watch, and not having to pay duty. The officer told me that charging duty was at his discretion. He gave me a pass for being honest in declaring the purchase.

jw0n likes this.
  16. jw0n May 5, 2018

Sweet! Any pics of your 105.012? :D

17. rb10chris May 5, 2018

thanks for sharing! and great choice on the tintin :thumbsup:

18. rb10chris May 5, 2018

Tax in Japan is what, like 8%? If so that's pretty good even with the 3% surcharge.

19. demchocholips May 5, 2018

Here it is on a leather strap. It came with an original flat link bracelet.
    1F1AC06F-6748-44E9-81F6-E76F69127D03.jpeg

jimmytf86, jw0n and rb10chris like this.