Forums Latest Members

Vintage watches in Taiwan?

1. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 5, 2018

Heading to Taipei for about a week...any interesting places to check out? :)

mikechi22, BenBagbag and aap like this.
  2. propervinyl Mar 5, 2018

I am so jealous. Taipei is such a lovely city.

Dont have watch suggestions, but be sure to go to night markets and get mini soft shell crabs with spicy salt!

soft shell crabs.jpg

Or, if its in season, my favorite food, sea urchin roe!
    uni.JPG

And Mango Shaved Ice!
    mango shaved ice.jpg

You can go to the original Din Tai Fung!
    Din Tai Fung.jpg

Also, dude, seriously, get a foot massage. Sounds weird, but it would be the best 30 minutes of your life, and leaves you totally relaxed.

These arent my photos. I'm going to dig them out from the last time I was in Taipei. But it is an amazing city. You will have so much fun.

(sorry for the thread hijak - I got excited)

3. Bumper Mar 5, 2018

kyle L likes this.
  4. Rman Mar 6, 2018

Kyle I highly recommend having a lunch and tea set at both Wisteria(traditional) and Hui Liu(contemporary) tea houses..
    Try some aged puerh or oolong and do as the Taiwanese do. :)

kyle L and propervinyl like this.
  5. propervinyl Mar 6, 2018

Oh, also, if you are looking for a custom tailored suit, check out Gray Taylor Co.

He dresses the political elite in Taiwan, and I know one very senior U.S. Senator gets his shirts custom made there.

I paid about $400 for a custom tailored suit from him in 2014 - with seriously top quality materials. Next to my flannel pajamas, it is the most comfortable clothing I own.

R3D9 and kyle L like this.
  6. Waltesefalcon Mar 6, 2018

Have fun!

kyle L likes this.
  7. Vitezi Mar 6, 2018

kyle L likes this.
  8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 6, 2018

Thanks for the recommendations! The focus will most likely be on the food/sights and less watch stuff. ;)

9. propervinyl Mar 6, 2018

One place I wouldn't miss is the National Palace Museum.

It is one of the world's great art museums, and has what is unquestionably the finest collection of Chinese art on the planet.

Basically the entire collection of artworks made for the Chinese imperial royal families going back thousands of years. Chaing Kai Shek evacuated the contents of the treasury to Taiwan in 1949, just before Mao's victory in the civil war. It is like the Louvre and the Uffizi and the Met and the Prado all rolled in to one.