Forums Latest Members
  1. RasmusS89 Mar 16, 2019

Hi everyone

Taking a trip to Paris in April. Beside wandering around with my girlfriend to numerous cultural sightings, I would like explore the vintage watch-market. Any recommendations for Paris?

Thank you in advance!

2. MG-Speedy Mar 16, 2019

The most known are:
    Antoine de Macedo, 28 rue Madame - 75006 Paris
    and
    Romain REA, 26 Rue du Bac, 75007 Paris

Have a lot of fun in Paris!

RasmusS89, Baz9614 and Larry S like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 16, 2019

So many opportunities in Paris that my wife responds with suspicion when I suggest another trip.
    I know there is a comprehensive list somewhere here on OF. You might try some searches to find it. I came up empty.
    I have personally done business with Contre Temps (93 Rue De Bac) in the Seventh. Lovely shop. For new watches there are tons of AD’s . The watch department at Le Bonne Marche (also in the Seventh ) is eye popping as is the store. (They are willing to negotiate as well.)

Edited Mar 16, 2019
    RasmusS89 likes this.
  4. DSOTM Mar 16, 2019

Le Collection'Heure also has a decent amount of vintage watches available usually, but they are spread across 4 stores in Paris, Brussels, Ibiza and Luxemburg. So I would recommend checking what they have in store in Paris before planning a visit there.

RasmusS89 likes this.
  5. Oku Mar 16, 2019

RasmusS89 likes this.
  6. alam Mar 16, 2019

stay tuned to news...avoid potential locations where [Yellow vest] protests might erupt... be safe, enjoy the city and the food!

RasmusS89 and Baz9614 like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 16, 2019

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 16, 2019

Pictures or it doesn’t exist! What did you get there? I’m highly curious considering I had recommended the shop....

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 16, 2019

This crusty but nice 2998-6 ... the owner is the brother of a colleague of mine. He’s a good guy. I have been told via PM that I did pretty well price wise. Strap and buckle were included plus I bought a nice Italian leather roll. He’s got an amazing collection.
    2C058739-A21E-435C-A8EC-2E3A974BC067.jpeg 2F0A3860-2ADE-4A5D-ABC0-52C2BCAF2046.jpeg

RasmusS89, alam and byunjoe like this.
  10. gostang9 Mar 16, 2019

I fly to Paris arriving Monday and leaving next Saturday. I’m in all day meetings and evening work dinners but had hoped to do something nice Friday afternoon / evening. I’m hoping the protests cause minimal damage and disruption and are over quickly.

Sad to see such a wonderful city in turmoil...

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 16, 2019

The protests are only on Saturdays, they’re mostly peaceful until things heat up at around 4pm in the most touristy locations like the Champs Elysees or around Opera and Galerie Lafayette or around Place de la Republique. About two months ago there was once some spillover at Saint Germain des Pres.
    I live in Paris and never witnessed any violence myself, having mostly either stayed in my own (also touristy) neighborhood, or travelled by subway, or even walked through the center of the city in areas where there were no demonstrators.
    Edit/ add I would recommend following the news to find out where the protests are going.

@Larry S glad you were able to find something to your liking and that the recommendation proved useful.

Edited Mar 16, 2019
  12. RasmusS89 Mar 16, 2019

Thank you for all the kind advices, both watch related and other. Am definitely looking forward to the trip even more now!
    Paris will now have an extra dimension for me with these stores.
    I’ll let you know about the experience.

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 16, 2019

Hi... This was purchased in 2015 after a nice lunch on a fine fall day. So I believe it was before your recco. But I second your endorsement!

Syrte likes this.
  14. gostang9 Mar 17, 2019

Thank you for the local insight (once again). :thumbsup:

Sad reality they only the worst of any city gets reported internationally and often leads to a false impression to outsiders.

Advice of checking ahead is good. I often get stuck working in my hotel room anyhow, but am hoping to get downtown. Champs Elysees isn’t really my “scene” so sounds like I’d most likely be fine.

15. gostang9 Mar 17, 2019

Good luck and hope you have a great time!

16. chronorobs Mar 19, 2019

Keep us updated about your Paris trip.

17. jaspers May 30, 2019

Been using this and this thread as references for my Paris trip of last week. First off, let me say I've never seen so many Tudor Marine National subs in the same area :)

- Highly impressed with Antoine de Macedo: a spectacular collection of vintage and pre-owned watches, very neatly curated throughout the store. The staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming. Some true gems in there, like a Breguet type-20 gifted by the Moroccan King.
    - Romain Rea, then, is about a 20 mt walk away, with some truly rare vintage watches (GP flyback chronograph, anyone?). The staff were nice enough, maybe a little standoffish towards a tourist browsing without intending an immediate purchase
    - Collector's Square, more or less in between the previous two. This place has store set-up I was unfamiliar with: only very few watches are on display. You basically browse the catalog on an iPad, and select watches you would like to see. They then retrieve these from the vault, and show them to you. Not very suitable for casual browsing or window shopping therefore.

18. FlyingSnoopy May 30, 2019

Romain Rea is a tad expensive but is a trustworthy dealer...
    Cheers

19. jaspers May 30, 2019

I wouldn’t doubt that for a second. Came across as very reputable to me indeed :thumbsup: