Forums Latest Members
  1. sliceoftime_ Dec 20, 2015

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Korea in a few days, was wondering if there is any good places to look for vintage watches there? What is usually the pricing in Korea, higher than average?

In addition, was thinking to wear my vintage watches there but to my knowledge it is snowing there, being in a tropical country, I've never encountered this problem. Is it okay to bring vintage watches there? If not modern watches for me!

Thanks in advance for the advices!

Kent

2. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 20, 2015

Too long since I've spent time in Korea. Actually before I cared much for vintage watches, however I would say cold winter climate usually involves dryer air than tropical. In that respect you are good.
    Historically Korea was a poor nation up to late in the 20th century. Due to this I suspect most vintage watches found there to be later imports.
    Perhaps a few military watches coming from the big numbers of US forces stationed there since the Korean War?

What you should consider is to wear the watch on the inside of your jacket arm collar as this will prevent sudden changes in temperature. Basically the opposite of going from warm outdoors and into an air conditioned room. Both can cause condensation issues.

Take it from a Norwegian: Cold climate and watches are OK as long as you take care (as always).

Cheers and wishing you a great trip!

Edited Dec 21, 2015
  3. sliceoftime_ Dec 20, 2015

I see, will keep an eye out for some military watches, or maybe snag a modern piece for once. :D

Regarding the weather, well noted on the cold weather, I think its going to be fine unless it starts to snow.

Thanks for the wishes! :thumbsup:

4. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 21, 2015

Snow is much less problematic than rain. You will anyhow wear a long sleeved jacket. Just remember to keep you watch under the sleeve collar. Your body heat, combined with the insulation of the jacket, will keep the watch at more stable temperatures than in many other situations.
    I would be much more worried to wear a nice vintage watch in hot and humid tropic conditions!
    ;)

5. sliceoftime_ Dec 21, 2015

Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

That's actually true, tropical weather at times is harsh on vintage pieces. :)

Northernman likes this.
  6. Waynepjr Dec 21, 2015

Have to be very careful buying in or from Korea. They are home of the redial and have some VERY talented people doing them. Redials are not an issue for them as they want perfect dials and don't care if it has to be redone to accomplish that. As for a true vintage collector, this is not an exceptable practice in majority of cases.

Wayne

7. sliceoftime_ Dec 21, 2015

I see, have heard a lot of bad things from Korea in regards to vintage watches, and modern seems to be expensive through some Googleing.

Will keep an eye out but think I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Thanks Wayne!

8. Waynepjr Dec 21, 2015

You are welcome!! Might find a good piece, just be watchful!!

sliceoftime_ likes this.
  9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 21, 2015

Remember that Korean redialers are doing a very good job on some constellation models.

sliceoftime_ likes this.
  10. Waynepjr Dec 21, 2015

Omega, Breitling, Rolex, Timex, you name it and they are redialing them.

hoipolloi and sliceoftime_ like this.
  11. sliceoftime_ Dec 21, 2015

Maybe best to stay away, or post on OF first. :whistling:

Waynepjr likes this.
  12. Waynepjr Dec 21, 2015

True that!!! Find and post for verification, always someone to help available!!

sliceoftime_ likes this.