Forums Latest Members

Vintage watch tools – let's see 'em!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 13, 2015

I don't have many, but recently scored a remarkably clean set of Mido case back openers, and given that I happen to really like the brand, I'm quite chuffed!

Let's see some other vintage tools!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PatrickJ, tmw57, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  2. genghis khan Aug 14, 2015

This is a great find. Congrats! I have a few watches that specifically need these openers. If you come across another lot, please do let me know.
    -Khurram

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 15, 2015

Here's one for a very specific job.

[​IMG]

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 15, 2015

Now that is cool! Dedicated to one model, and color coordinated!

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 17, 2015

Okay, well I suspect the watchmakers on here have a lot of vintage tools. I know I do, because vintage tools are often better quality and cheaper to purchase then new modern equivalents.

One good value in vintage tools is staking sets. I have 2 sets, one is a simple set and I don't even use it as a staking set. For this one I use it to hold the new tools I have from Omega for reaming out the bushings on rotors of 55X and 56X models (also for 75X actually).

[​IMG]

Here reaming out the new bushing:

[​IMG]

This speeds this job up considerably...takes about a minute to ream it out to the perfect diameter using the dedicated reamer that Omega sells:

[​IMG]

The stakes and stumps on this set were in rough shape, but the base is perfect for this work. For proper staking set work (changing balance staffs and all manner of staking tasks) I use my vintage K&D 18R Inverto set:

[​IMG]

It also has jewelling attachments if needed, and since it's an Inverto set, I can invert any stake and use it as a stump, which is very handy. These can usually be had for a fraction of a new Bergeon set, and the quality is much better - frankly many modern Bergeon tools are not very good quality compared to what that name used to represent. Also, replacement stakes and stumps are readily available for the K&D sets.

Of course I have more vintage tools...will post more at another time...

Cheers, Al

OMTOM, Jwit, GuiltyBoomerang and 15 others like this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 17, 2015

Very cool stuff, Al. Thanks for the contribution!

7. Geo! Aug 17, 2015

My L.E.M. Case opener.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is possibly my best ever vintage tool purchase, I have yet to come across a screw back that it won't remove

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 17, 2015

No vintage tools here. A deficit that is highly beneficial to my watches, by the way. :confused:

But, I am curious....

Anyone have the proper wrench for this LeCoultre monocoque case, and if so, what does it look like?::confused2::

image.jpg

Mad Dog likes this.
  9. Geo! Aug 18, 2015

JimInOz likes this.
  10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 19, 2015

Waltham watch sping measuring tool..... I checked it in the lab at work, its still quite accurate.
    P1020490.JPG P1020491.JPG P1020492.JPG

blubarb and Geo! like this.
  11. wsfarrell Aug 19, 2015

That is super nice!

Geo! likes this.
  12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 19, 2015

Geo! likes this.
  13. Canuck Aug 22, 2015

image.jpg So! You have an antique pocket watch, and it needs a new crown. You have a crown with the right tap, and the colour and diameter are fine, but the I/d is too small to fit over the pendant of the case. What do you do? You use a reamer from an assortment of crown reamers like these.

You run a busy repair shop circa 1950. Many mechanical, manual wind watches on test that require winding every day. Necessary, but a nuisance. So, what do you do? You buy a Bergeon watch winder. Advance the crown to the rubber cup, press inward, the winder does the job for you, without damaging the watch! image.jpg

PatrickJ likes this.
  14. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Aug 25, 2015

I forgot that I have this one ::facepalm1::::facepalm1::

Found it today while I have cleaned up my hobby room...and btw the color is horrible...

Tool1.JPG

Tool2.JPG

wristpirate and x3no like this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 25, 2015

Okay a few more...

Vigor crystal lift - not expensive and does the job well. Cheaper and much better quality than the new Indian made versions are:

[​IMG]

And when the small one just won't do...this large SUC model will:

[​IMG]

Winding mainsprings back in by hand is not good practice, so on those rare occasions when I might use a spring again (very rare), I use a proper set of mainspring winders. This Watch craft set can be had cheaply and is mainly for pocket watches:

[​IMG]

Most of the time I use this old Bergeon set though, as it is better quality and has many more options are you can see:

[​IMG]

For most new mainsprings I press them directly into the barrel from the ring they are shipped in:

[​IMG]

However with some springs the ends are not simple, like this double brace end spring:

[​IMG]

For those the spring is removed from the shipping ring, and wound up in the mainspring winder with the double brace end left out slightly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I can press the spring into the mainspring barrel, and make sure the brace is lined up in the slot that it goes into in the barrel drum:

[​IMG]

See red arrow:

[​IMG]

And of course if you replace balance staffs, you will need to at least check the poise on the balance after, so an old Bergeon poising tool is where I start:

[​IMG]

Of course further dynamic poising may be done also, but I like to get it close using static poising personally.

More to come...

Cheers, Al

16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 25, 2015

That Bergeon set is a beauty, Al. Thanks!

17. wsfarrell Aug 25, 2015

<drool>

18. Pvt-Public Aug 25, 2015

I can't afford the Bergeon winders Archer has so I have the other ones.

P1142099.JPG
    Winding keys and balance calipers.
    P1142098.JPG
    And an old staking set which one day I hope to learn how to use.
    P1142096.JPG

Mad Dog, PatrickJ and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  19. GoldenHour Aug 25, 2015

Some great tools here, makes me want to buy even more tools. Thanks for sharing.

20. blubarb Aug 25, 2015

I inherited these recently. I just like having them around.

IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0003.jpg

Mad Dog likes this.