Forums Latest Members
  1. AJ- May 28, 2016

Hello fellow watch enthusiasts,

The following watch belongs to my father-in-law, a vintage longines that he believes was purchased in about 1963:
    image.jpeg
    It has stopped working just recently, and I think the problem may be a broken mainspring (it winds endlessly, to no effect). It's never been serviced. The local watchmaker was going to charge about $500 to service the watch, and in my father-in-law's estimation it that's too expensive. As a result, I am considering trying to fix it myself. My only concerns are:

1. Whether the luminous material is likely to be radium or tritium – I don't particularly want to open a watch that could have me inhaling radioactive particles.

2. I know longines had the habit of using sealed mainspring barrels around this time – my concern is that if this watch has one, i will need try to find a part that could be difficult to find.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me identify the model and calibre, and whether the watch is likely to have radioactive luminous material and a sealed mainspring barrel. Also, is this watch worth anything significant (I'm not seeking a valuation, just whether it is worth taking it to a professional to service, compared to my layman's attempt which could realistically botch it)?

Kind regards, AJ-

2. ulackfocus May 28, 2016

@STANDY - please post that link about DIY foolishness.

Do NOT try to fix it yourself!!! It is NOT like replacing a breaker or fixing a leaky drain.

AJ- likes this.
  3. ulackfocus May 28, 2016

Oh, it has a caliber 30LS most likely and you could probably find a watchmaker to do the service & repair for closer to $300.

4. micampe May 28, 2016

You are likely inhaling radioactive particles right now. Have you eaten a banana recently? The potassium in it is radioactive too.

(still not a good reason to fix it yourself)

Syrte and AJ- like this.
  5. AJ- May 28, 2016

Lol, I know. I wouldn't attempt it but for the fact that he doesn't want to part with the cash to get it properly serviced, and it would also be somewhat fun. If the watch is worth more than the cost of servicing it, I'd strongly recommend to him that he get a professional to do it. Regarding cost, we're in Australia, and everything seems to be more expensive over here. If anyone could recommend a good independent watchmaker in Melbourne, that would be good info.

6. ulackfocus May 28, 2016

Melbourne watchmaker? We just happen to have a few members down under who might help.

Calling @dsio!

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 28, 2016

rmurphy37 likes this.
  8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 28, 2016

I don't get a mention? I'm insulted!

Yes, everything is more expensive in Australia. Unfortunately I haven't found anyone in Melbourne who is reasonably priced and reasonably good. There is Precision Watch Repair in Collins St, but they are probably quite expensive. There is Ekelesmans on Elizabeth, opposite the old GPO.

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 29, 2016

If he doesn't want to spend the money to service it then he should consider selling it
    "As is" to someone who is capable of servicing it properly; certainly that would make more sense than to just destroy it!

Not sure what benefit that would be to anyone, except for the sheer pleasure some people seem to take in destroying fine works of craft which have stood the test of time.
    It's a nice looking watch even if it's not necessarily a super expensive one.

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 29, 2016

You should move to Lisbon. I am able to get a good quality, basic service for between 60 and 100 € :D

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 29, 2016

Also James Robinson
    and FTG Watch Repair.

The fact is that supply and demand dictates cost in each locality.

A basic watch service in some European cities may be $100, in the USA maybe $200, in Melbourne $300 and up.

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 29, 2016

In Paris it can be up to 250-300 euros for a basic service but I don't know a single person who will pay that much. One way around it is to ship watches to be serviced out of town. Many UK based people send their watches to watchmakers outside of London.

13. rmurphy37 May 29, 2016

I've been putting money into an old Omega 2577 with a 354 bumper movement in it, I had to replace the mainspring and a few other things. I'm waiting on a new stem so that I can fit the correct Omega crown.
    If he doesn't want to spend the money, maybe you could work a payment plan out with your watch maker and fix it up for him as a present to him.
    Or not .... lol
    PS. Thank you to my forum friend who was kind enough to send me the crown btw. Great folks on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk