Vintage watch Identification

Hi all,

I was given the below watch by late grandfather and I am trying to identify what I can about it, as I will be looking to get it restored.

Watch I believe is original strap with extra links, papers and box. However being a noob with watches I am looking to read up about this watch.

Model Number: CK14714
Movement Number: 18467959
Stainless Steel

Purchase in the UK in 1965.

Any information that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. I am located in Melboune Australia :)

It's hard to say much about the condition without better photos (this forum really likes pictures - the movement and even your box and paperwork are of interest), but the attached is another example on that model from the web.

Generally its advised to NOT send it to Omega, but instead to a watchmaker who will perform a "sympathetic restoration" as opposed to replacing all parts that have some wear and polishing the case.

Untitled.jpg

I can tell you it needs a new plexi :D, the flex bracelet is not original and caliber is likely 285.

More pics will help - show us more angles, and the box and papers.

If you were able to have someone remove the back of the case to show us a/ any stampings inside the case back (ignore any “scribbles” left by watchmakers), and b/ the mechanism, we’d be able to help with more information. Your pictures should be well lit (daylight, no glare), enlarged, and well focussed, then return to the thread you’ve started, click on REPLY, and add the pictures. It is imperative that we be able to read serial numbers and model numbers on case and movement.

Hi all,

I was given the below watch by late grandfather and I am trying to identify what I can about it, as I will be looking to get it restored.

Watch I believe is original strap with extra links, papers and box. However being a noob with watches I am looking to read up about this watch.

Model Number: CK14714
Movement Number: 18467959
Stainless Steel

Purchase in the UK in 1965.

Any information that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. I am located in Melboune Australia :)

Like 2
Hour and minute hands are mismatched and that gash running from 2' to 5' may be on the dial rather than the plexi

Hour and minute hands are mismatched and that gash running from 2' to 5' may be on the dial rather than the plexi
what do you mean by mismatched? not original?

I would also suggest to replace the "lug-eater" flexi bracelet with something else... damages to lugs have already been done but wouldn't hurt to remove it

Means that the two hands are not from the same set. It's like having, with cards suits, a spade and a club.

The H and M hands have totally different styles/shapes, one is lumed and one is not. Perhaps one of them is original.

Dial may be ok under that totaled plexi. Its heirloom have it cleaned and serviced with new crystal and nice leather strap. Please share the result! Dont go to Omega find independent watchmaker with Omega parts account. Share your location and someone can advise.

edit I saw you are in Melbourne I’m sure someone here can direct you to good watchmaker
Edited:

Hi all and thank you for your advice,

I have gone to an independent watchmaker and finally received a quote.
The dial was in bad condition and had the deep scratch on it and was also water damaged.

The watch maker has said that he may be able to remove the numbers and remove the deep scratch.

The quote i have recieved is: (AUD)

$ 880 Full service overhaul of the movement
$ 88.00 Relumiate hand
$ 380 Supply and fit new original plexi glass or generic glass $110

Dial:
$1700 - Full complete dial restoration (sent to the USA)
or
$750 - Local Dial Restoration - If they can remove the number / scratch

Just looking for some advice as to whether it is worth the cost of the repair. As initially i thought the watch to be only worth $1800

Any guidance is appreciated.

keep looking for quotes since those prices are as outrageous as your own valuation

Like 2
Obviously it has sentimental value for you.

In your place, I would have the movement repaired/serviced and the crystal replaced. I would leave the dial as it is. It's unfortunate that the dial is damaged, but that is how you received the watch and how your grandfather wore it. As far as I know, there is nobody in the US who can really do a decent dial restoration for an old Omega, so paying $1700 (or even $170) would be a waste of money.

Finally, the prices you have been quoted are absolutely silly. If you are seriously considering spending $2000 USD on this watch, just send it to Omega and let them do a full restoration. Frankly, I don't think the place that does dial restoration is that great either, but at least you will feel good about the overall restoration.

Your valuation of $1800 AUD ($1200 USD) is about 10x too high. And if value matters, you should know that no matter how much you spend on this watch, it will never be worth more than about $500.

Like 7
The valuation was not my own that was the valuation of the watchmaker, is anyone able to suggest any australian (Melbourne) based watch makers, I could seek further quotes from?

"A Watch In Time"
145 Canterbury Rd,
Heathmont,
Victoria. 3135
www.awatchintime.com.au
(03) 9879 6077.
They are only open to the pubic Wednesday to Friday.
Kevin is not cheap and it will probably cost more than it's worth.

But with a limited number of watchmakers about these days, the high labour costs in this country as well as the high overheads involved....that's the cost of getting anything done by competent skilled people in this country these days.
I don't begrudge a bloke making a good living.....I myself charge like a wounded bull for my services!

Non Aussie members should note the quoted prices are in Aussie $
Edited:

"A Watch In Time"
145 Canterbury Rd,
Heathmont,
Victoria. 3135
www.awatchintime.com.au
(03) 9879 6077.
They are only open to the pubic Wednesday to Friday.
Kevin is not cheap and it will probably cost more than it's worth.

But with a limited number of watchmakers about these days, the high labour costs in this country as well as the high overheads involved....that's the cost of getting anything done by competent skilled people in this country these days.
I don't begrudge a bloke making a good living.....I myself charge like a wounded bull for my services!

Non Aussie members should note the quoted prices are in Aussie $

I do not begrude anyone making a good living either. Thank you for the suggestion.

From my end if the watch itself is going to be worth less than the cost of repairs, then i may just retain the watch as is and put the money into another project
I will seek out a few more quotes and go from there.

Hi all and thank you for your advice,

I have gone to an independent watchmaker and finally received a quote.
The dial was in bad condition and had the deep scratch on it and was also water damaged.

The watch maker has said that he may be able to remove the numbers and remove the deep scratch.

The quote i have recieved is: (AUD)

$ 880 Full service overhaul of the movement
$ 88.00 Relumiate hand
$ 380 Supply and fit new original plexi glass or generic glass $110

Dial:
$1700 - Full complete dial restoration (sent to the USA)
or
$750 - Local Dial Restoration - If they can remove the number / scratch

Just looking for some advice as to whether it is worth the cost of the repair. As initially i thought the watch to be only worth $1800

Any guidance is appreciated.
This watchmaker does simply not like to do this work. He wants compensation for his pain while working ;-)

If I have to share my mind on this, I was given a pocket watch belonging to my great-great grandfather from the beginning of the 1900. The cost of having it fixed was not reasonable in my opinion, plus I'm not a pocket watch person so it would end up being a huge expense without any return in real life.

I ended up having a crystal fitted on it and now sits in a dome display case above my writing desk just as a piece of my family history.

If I were in you I would make a quick pro-cons list in my head seeing if you'll get benefit from having it a working state. If you do not wear it, nor intend to, and would be a dead-expense, just keep it as a memory of your grandfather in its original state.

Like 3
Fully concurring with other members, the key question is how much you want to spend in order to wear your grand father’s watch for some years.
That’ll be the only return you get, as the dial damage means it has no value as a collectible. (Condition is a critical element of value; Compare with the other watch posted in the thread).
It does suggest your grand father used it a lot though.

Another option we haven’t mentioned is to hunt for a non restored replacement dial from what we call a «donor » watch, but you’d have to find a decent example of the same reference, which in turn would cost a few hundred $$ (Australian or US).
The result would be a more desirable watch, but the replacement of the dial still makes it technically less valuable on the collectors’ market and you will still be spending more cash that the watch is worth from a purely monetary view point.

Keep us posted!
Best regards
Edited:

Like 3