Forums Latest Members
  1. jonathanjacks Oct 15, 2021

hi, looking at this one ebay, just wondering if anyone can help with originality etc? it mainly the crown and hands that i’m concerned about
    hope someone can help
    thanks

D773DFD5-5437-469B-B9B7-2E5D3C0D676A.png
  2. Vitezi Oct 15, 2021

We can only tell you so much with only one photograph to go on. But, based on this one picture, the dial looks original and the leaf hands are correct for the no-radium dial. Collectors sometimes refer to this dial as a "shy-10" dial. The subsecond hand also looks OK, and the chrome case looks correct from this view. The "fab.suisse" suggests the intended market for this watch was France.

The crown has likely been replaced several times over the watch's life, but the bowler crown that is there now is of the correct type for the period. Based on the fixed lugs and the style of the dial I'd guess the watch dates to the late 1930s. Inside should the venerable in-house caliber 27. All in all, a well-worn watch that wears the scars of a lifetime proudly and is still quite serviceable as a timepiece.

3. jonathanjacks Oct 16, 2021

that’s great thanks very much. yeah sorry about the pictures all pretty bad quality on the listing…how much would you say is a good price for this one?

4. bubba48 Oct 16, 2021

Due to the general condition, not more than 100US$ but, sincerely, I'd look for a better one

jonathanjacks likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 16, 2021

It will be difficult to find a nicer 80+ year old bullseye dial. If the OP can buy this at a good price, it would be worth the effort to try to get a second one of the same reference with a nicer case for a swap.

Having a parts movement would be a bonus here.
    gatorcpa

jonathanjacks and YYTIN like this.
  6. jonathanjacks Oct 17, 2021

thanks for this, think i’ll offer him £150 for it (listed for 175). what do you mean by a parts movement?

7. cvalue13 Oct 17, 2021

Parts for these don’t exactly grow on trees…

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 17, 2021

If you bought another watch, you would have a second movement. That could prove valuable as a source for parts if needed.
    gatorcpa

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 17, 2021

This would be a project watch that could easily take years to realize (finding a new case, etc). It just depends on if the stars align and you may lose interest before that time.

10. jonathanjacks Oct 17, 2021

i see…to be honest i like the watch as is and am not too worried about the case-gives it a nice used vintage feel that i look for in a watch. if i did need new parts in the future looking for another model would be the thing to do and then replacing the case would be something to consider at that point, but for now i think i’ll put an offer in and see what happens.
    thanks for your help everyone