Forums Latest Members
  1. o|\/|ega Sep 19, 2018

Hi speedmaster experts,

I am looking for info on styles of the original speedmaster leather straps from the 60’, 70’ in particular (and also 80’). So far I was able to find a brochure featuring a 145.022 on a black racing strap. Does anybody have any other insights about what kind of straps were used by omega back in the day?

I am aware that originals would be difficult to find and/or often in bad condition but this way I could at least try to find modern straps that look similar to the originals.

Thanks

Luka

B004B9D7-3397-4E8A-AD10-7434BB2564A9.jpeg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2018

Pretty wide open. Rally, racing, croc, 2 stitch, leather, leather padded, contrast or no contrast stitching all acceptable and period correct.

Except Maybe the 2 stitch. Which I think is a Modern take on a Vintage looking strap.

o|\/|ega likes this.
  3. o|\/|ega Sep 19, 2018

Great, thank you. Have you any ideas where I could get some pictures (brochures, catalogues) etc.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2018

Just google vintage Omega or 60’s or 70’s advertising or catalogs. Try a few different search terms.

Remember at this time bracelets and straps where put on by the dealer. So lots of variation exist.

5. Neek U-neek. Get it? Sep 19, 2018

Here to help with my 145.022-71

07ECE56A-B8B9-430D-B5F9-849D3E30FDE7.jpeg
    Moviken and o|\/|ega like this.
  6. bjhove Sep 20, 2018

The black rallye strap shown in the brochure is not a leather strap, but Corfam, a sort of artificial leather, invented by DuPont in the 60'ies, and used by Omega for watch straps during the late 60'ies until the early 70'ies. They are very hard to find in original condition, though I was lucky to source one on Ebay a few month ago by a french seller. Try Ebay and type corfam watch straps and see what shows up

Moviken likes this.
  7. bjhove Sep 20, 2018

Just checked Ebay. If interested, the french seller still has a black 20mm corfam strap available. Go to ebay, type corfam and browse the pages till you find it.

8. o|\/|ega Sep 20, 2018

Thanks for the info. Is the french guy from Neauphle le Château and the ad lists a heuer corfam strap for 170€?

9. bjhove Sep 20, 2018

yes, thats the guy! I'm not sure the strap is for Heuer, even if he writes so in the ad. The one I bought is exactly similar to the one shown in the Omega brochure. But maybe Heuer and Omega used the same kind of straps back then

10. o|\/|ega Sep 20, 2018

Yes, that would make sense. I imagine that yours is not branded (nor omega nor heuer)?

11. bjhove Sep 20, 2018

No, its not branded. The seller told me he bought the straps NOS from an old watchmaker who has closed his shop. I have no reason not to believe thats true, They are made of genuine corfam, which has not been produced since the 70's, and looks like brand new. I'm very happy with it, suits my vintage Speedmaster 145012 perfectly!

12. wwhntr Sep 20, 2018

My experience with Corfam would not make me pursue a strap. Every Corfam strap I’ve seen was either brittle or deteriorating. For some reason this man made material did not hold up well! If I wanted original look of strap in op’s first catalog picture I would look for a perforated leather strap!

13. Tonyash Sep 21, 2018

photo Autavia.jpg
    Lonestar and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Sep 21, 2018

(don't want to hijack the thread but there are some great repro corfam straps made of leather out there for like 1/5th of a price of an original one... have both the originals and repros at home and unless you are an originality taliban I don't think the originals are worth the premium)

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. simonsays Sep 21, 2018

@Tonyash That one looks great
    @Lonestar

Any chance either of you can share your sources?

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. jimmyd13 Sep 21, 2018

Looking back for photos of my (no longer mine!) 2998, this is the strap it came on:
    401383-fd22e1859d7331d6460a88933dd8ef71.jpg IMAG1748.jpg IMAG1749.jpg
    As someone mentioned already, straps were often sourced by the jeweller who sold the watch. My advice, just pick a style that you like from the period (racing, rally(e) or other) and have a reproduction made to measure. There are plenty of leather strap makers out there who will do it for you and they pretty much all do a great job. If you're in the UK (hell, even if you're not) steveostraps is good. There's a couple of French ones, but I've not had personal experience of them; doesn't @Robert-Jan 's wife also have a company for making them?

17. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Sep 21, 2018

sure: try (for instance)
    http://glcstraps.it/shop/?filter_prodotto=cinturni&filter_modello=racing (don't know these first-hand)
    http://www.heuertime.com/index.php?lang=eng&p=sale&sub=sale_products&cat=strap bracelet

I have one of Abel's (heuertime) on my viceroy - very very nice. Also featured in Fratello, do a search on the name and it should pop up.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps - nothing beats an original strap, but sometimes a bit of financial pragmaticism doesn't hurt :)

simonsays and TexOmega like this.
  18. Tonyash Sep 21, 2018

That strap was made by Giuliano in Italy. He used to advertise on chronotrader but have not seen him post much lately. I think his racing and rally straps are fantastic, made to order and probably the best I have found. Abel’s Heuertime straps are also a really good option.

simonsays likes this.
  19. trash_gordon Sep 21, 2018

Abel Courts straps are really nice. They come really close to the original Corfams.

Lonestar likes this.
  20. simonsays Sep 21, 2018

Love the look of the GLC. Out of stock of the one I need. Thanks for sharing both of you. It is so hard to find good straps!