Forums Latest Members
  1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 8, 2017

Hey Folks

Yet another new Speedmaster junky joins the ranks. Am busy looking at vintage pieces online for auction (just because Speedmasters are awesome), and don't yet have my copy of the new Moonwatch Only book. I was just hoping for any of the more seasoned veterans who might be perusing the lists and spot the 'Waldo's' who have the energy to type and find this interesting to throw some 'stones' at it. Many thanks in advance.

Only listed details are that is has the 321 movement. And then, pics.

A few things that bother me:
    - The dial :
    - hour markers go all the way down to the crystal.
    - No 'T SWISS MADE T'.
    - Where's the lovely patina?
    - Case Back
    - looks brand new and untouched
    - 1450012 SP ? Only things I found on the net regarding this serial number are empty cases
    - How clean is this?

The movement looks immaculately clean...to my eyes (that doesnt bother me)...

Thanks for your time...

Regards,
    Eugene

892407148_v0_2.jpg 892407148_v0_3.jpg 892407148_v0_5.jpg 892407148_v0_9.jpg 892407148_v0_10.jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  2. WatchWarlock Mar 8, 2017

Welcome to the cult! Pretty sure that only the movement is correct, as it is likely a service case, caseback, dial, and hands. Others can correct me, but I would stay away.

Baz9614 and eugeneandresson like this.
  3. Kmart Mar 8, 2017

What a strange watch. I think that it might have originally been a 105.012 but it looks to have been fitted with a 321 service dial (applied Omega logo but superluminova lume) -- and service everything else too.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 8, 2017

Hi
    Thanks for the warm welcome and reply :) Wow, so Omega would go that far...which is kind-of-nice (imagine vehicle manufacturers did that) but not for vintage watches...

5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 8, 2017

Thanks. So 'service' can apply to e v e r y t h I n g then? Geez...

6. Kmart Mar 8, 2017

Yep, Omega's policy is to restore any watch you send into them back to like-new condition. Which for vintage watches means just replacing almost every single piece of the watch (more or less depending on condition) with modern parts. Because while we see an old 321 Speedmaster with a scratched up case and aged dial as beautiful, to them it's just old -- and they are not in the business of maintaining the condition of old watches.

7. WatchWarlock Mar 8, 2017

Yeah, if it wasn't done by Omega, it was done by someone who purchased NOS parts and put it together. I'm assuming the latter.

8. mr_yossarian Mar 8, 2017

It's in a way like a Porsche 356 with a digital Dashboard and everything else that could not be considered period correct. lightyears away from a vintage piece..

9. Ravineman Mar 8, 2017

I wear watches, I don't collect them or sell them,. I would buy this - depending on the price. Looks awesome

10. mr_yossarian Mar 8, 2017

i honestly wouldn't because its that tiny difference between style and class.

11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 8, 2017

That's the other thing right there...price. Feel similar to you Ravineman, unfortunately some people try to win auctions 5 days before they can be won...

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 8, 2017

Hmm, this watch has a history... To me the entire watch is service parts, the original dial hands and case are long gone. The movement also looks put together, as that bridge does not match the rest of the watch. Getting the serial number which appears obscured might help nail down the story. As it is, this is an old movement of unknown provenance with new everything else. So there is not alot of value here outside straight parts.

Looking at it more deeply, I am not sure that is a fully Omega movement. The baseplate seems to be missing the Omega symbol under the balance wheel, and the baseplate color does not match the bridge or the regulator "bridge" Could just be the picture though.

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 8, 2017

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Apparently it does come with all papers (and a recent service), not sure if that would change anything (my humble apologies for not mentioning that in the original post)...

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 8, 2017

Define all papers? And who serviced it? If it was serviced by Omega that might clarify some things, specifically the heritage of the movement. If Joe blow serviced it and it is a franken movement then the value goes even lower.

The issue is these watches are valued by the dial, bezel and hands as being all correct as issued, with prices fluctating on condition and pleasing patina. A 321 caliber with a Luminova dial and new Luminova hands, is bottom rung on the totem pole for value, and is valued as parts. Heck just missing the correct bezel knocks about 2k off of the value of the watch. At the end of the day the price "bible" for these makes this note on that dial.

"Modern Omega Service Dials, for Calibre 321... These dials would be the same as the ones fitted by Omega when they service a 321 Speedmaster at Bienne today. When fitted to a watch, a collector will reduce the value to that of the remaining parts combined."
    - http://speedmaster101.com/blog/calibre-321-service-dials/

Hope this helps.

15. repoman Mar 8, 2017

[​IMG]

Etp095, pdw1, cvrle1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 8, 2017

If it is a 145.012 as noted by the service caseback the serial number would be 2406 xxxx – 27xx xxx. Although... I thought the 145.0012 denotes a service part number, not the watch being a 145.012 with a service back, and could be fitted to earlier watches and a service back for a 105.012 would also get this same 145.0012 service back. This is why a service caseback that states 145.0022 may not be on a 145.022 watch but on a more modern watch after the 145.022 reference was dropped.

All in the max value on this watch is under $3300 best case scenario to a collector, although I doubt anyone on this forum would even touch this watch at $3,000. Someone that does not know value may pay more thinking the watch is a "perfect" 145.012 which would be valued at close to $10,000.

BartH and eugeneandresson like this.
  17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 8, 2017

Sorry folks, forgot to mention : all papers included...
    Thanks for this Foo2rama, and the link to the speedmaster101 website. You hit the nail on the head there (was trying to find out about the dials) -> was missing the phrase 'service dial' in my searching! That looks exactly like what is on the watch. I was totally unaware that Omega would do this (service dials) to this day on such old watches...really good to know. As to the your earlier question regarding papers : they are from Omega (I didn't post all the pics) - I live in CH - there is an Omega service warranty card. Serial no 26xxxxx...

But yeah, I won't be pulling the trigger (for the price it's at I would rather have a much new one)...Plus got to save my coins for the SpeedyTuesday :)

pdw1 and Foo2rama like this.
  18. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 8, 2017

Interesting watch. Given that it does have an Omega serial card (does the serial match that on the movement?), I wonder what it would be worth. $3-$4.5k?

19. pdw1 Mar 8, 2017

This has been a super educational thread for me.
    Had no idea any of this was done by Omega! Crazy!
    Guess that why I've seen the phrase "don't send it to omega" so much on here.
    Mind telling us what the asking price was?
    Seems like after reading all this, it shouldn't be over a couple grand BUT somehow I bet they want a tone for its "like new" condition. Ugh! Im so sad for this watch! Would love to know what it could have been. :(

20. WatchWarlock Mar 8, 2017

This almost feels like a Speedy version of the WatchCo Seamaster 300...

larryganz likes this.