Vintage speedsters on eBay from Japan

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and fairly new to watch collecting in general. I am looking to get my first "real" piece this year specifically some form of speedmaster (non-professional). I like the look of some of the ones on eBay (pictures attached).
oOuZv7s

https://imgur.com/a/oOuZv7s

However have seen a vast quantity of speedsters from this particular seller among others - all of which originating from Japan.
I just wanted to confirm that these are all genuine and original speedmasters as opposed to Frankenstein watches built of separate parts?

Thank you all for helping!

No one can give a blanket guarantee on Japanese sourced Speedmasters,, but Japan has always been a big consumer of them so naturally a lot will eventually hit the market. Always be concerned on bracelet length, most have been sized for a small wrist and the removed links are often lost to time. Sourcing replacement links can be frustrating.

Like 2
No one can give a blanket guarantee on Japanese sourced Speedmasters,, but Japan has always been a big consumer of them so naturally a lot will eventually hit the market. Always be concerned on bracelet length, most have been sized for a small wrist and the removed links are often lost to time. Sourcing replacement links can be frustrating.

That's a good point I wouldn't have thought about. Thank you very much for your help!

Please post photos instead of links. I'm not sure what type of Speedmaster you are referring to. And if you're interested in a particular buyer, why not give the name? How else can we help you?
Edited:

Like 1
When buying from overseas, don't forget to take into account shipping costs and import taxes. I think some of the Japanese dealer prices are very attractive, at least in USD, because of the current exchange rates.

Like 1
I thought this thread was going to be about this kind of Speedster...

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 11.18.36 AM.png

Like 12
FWIW: many of the Japanese eBay sellers also sell on Chrono24 and sometimes through their own website. Lately, I've been seeing better deals on the Chrono24 versions of their listings.

There are several high volume Japanese sellers that I've bought from multiple times and I've never had an issue.

The other think to be aware of when buying those Japanese eBay watches — many of them are standard Pro models with dials replaced with Limited Edition dials, so are a frakenwatch.

Not a problem if you like the look at the price is comparable for a standard Pro. But don’t pay any premium for a limited edition unless you know for sure it is legit.

A common one is the racing dial variant.

Having been burned by fees from Japan ebay purchases, I wouldn’t do it again unless it was an exceedingly fantastic deal.

Having been burned by fees from Japan ebay purchases, I wouldn’t do it again unless it was an exceedingly fantastic deal.
Yeah, based in the UK here and I can't even take the risk of getting one shipped from the US, because of customs duties and procedures. If you have a reliable friend visiting and/or coming from Japan soon, then, maybe you can do that. Otherwise, that's probably a hustle that wouldn't worth the effort.

Yeah, based in the UK here and I can't even take the risk of getting one shipped from the US, because of customs duties and procedures. If you have a reliable friend visiting and/or coming from Japan soon, then, maybe you can do that. Otherwise, that's probably a hustle that wouldn't worth the effort.
UK must be one of the most frustrating places buy used watches at this point, either buy internationally and pay 20% VAT, or buy locally and pay almost as much due to the inflated domestic market and have a more limited selection to choose from

Here in Australia we’re a small inflated market and tax island too but at least its only 10%

UK must be one of the most frustrating places buy used watches at this point, either buy internationally and pay 20% VAT, or buy locally and pay almost as much due to the inflated domestic market and have a more limited selection to choose from

Here in Australia we’re a small inflated market and tax island too but at least its only 10%

If by some miraculous event , the stated shipping value stays around or under A$ 950 , no VAT/ Gst at all. Yet ... And if your Buy is via eBay, which deducts the Gst/Vat automatically and sends to the Government, have it sent to a friend of yours in that sellers country as shipping address. And have them forwarded to Australia with your description and value .
Edited:

If by some miraculous event , the stated shipping value stays around or under A$ 950 , no VAT/ Gst at all. Yet ... And if your Buy is via eBay, which deducts the Gst/Vat automatically and sends to the Government, have it sent to a friend of yours in that sellers country as shipping address. And have them forwarded to Australia with your description and value .
Well the other thing is, even when its above $1000 AUD, half the the time Auspost or customs or whoever it is that assesses it is probably watching instagram reels on their phone instead of looking too closely and they just deliver it without ever charging GST. The two biggest watch purchases I've ever made internationally arrived with no tax despite being correctly declared. Its like the opposite of German customs, those blokes are sitting there desperately trying to find a way to tax an envelope if they can, while the Australian blokes are like na I'm pretty hung over I'm not doing math today.

Well the other thing is, even when its above $1000 AUD, half the the time Auspost or customs or whoever it is that assesses it is probably watching instagram reels on their phone instead of looking too closely and they just deliver it without ever charging GST. The two biggest watch purchases I've ever made internationally arrived with no tax despite being correctly declared. Its like the opposite of German customs, those blokes are sitting there desperately trying to find a way to tax an envelope if they can, while the Australian blokes are like na I'm pretty hung over I'm not doing math today.

That's one reason, why we are envy of the World. The last Frontier has better things to do, than to enforce Tax collection...
Edited:

I’ve installed and commissioned automated mail sorting and parcel handling systems at Auspost and other major courier services, if the system doesn’t pick it up it just goes through, there could be any number of reasons why, if everything isn’t quite in the right box, can’t read the writing, wrong ink colour (red is bad) damaged label, whistling on a Tuesday…… human error of the part of the sender mostly.
Any problem items get put aside to be dealt with by the operators at the end of shift, it is here where things like declarations might be missed by an operator who is in a hurry to knock off.
The only times the operator intervenes is if there is a jam up or some such.
It’s remarkable that the system gets it right as often as it does, given that the whole thing is moving at 3 metres a second.
I guess they work on the basis of they have more wins than losses and are content with that.
Edited: