Forums Latest Members
  1. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jul 3, 2016

I am not sure if this matter was previously discussed but based on superficial observation it appears that prices have at least stagnated if not fallen. What are your observations? Is the "bubble" starting to fizzle or more of a short term correction?

2. milwatch126 Jul 3, 2016

Maybe, but IMO people are just more educated buyers presently and therefore much more selective with their purchasing. This compounded with less quality availability in the vintage Speedmaster market has resulted in a greater demand of 'better' pieces and the more mediocre offerings being rejected and therefore their prices dropping. The better quality and rarer pieces IMO will continue to rise.
    As with myself I am currently seeking a 321 patiently of better quality than currently being offered (Hint hint)

M

shane0mack, empdx, zimmerit5 and 3 others like this.
  3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 3, 2016

Any specific examples? To me it appears that available inventory of Speedmaster 321s and Diver Seamaster 300s is rather thin.

watchknut, Traveler, OMGRLX and 3 others like this.
  4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 3, 2016

This Ed White sold for $5,500 this morning in Japan. Not the best quality however. Non working chrono. Anyone get it? :)

image.jpeg

Edited Jul 3, 2016
  5. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jul 3, 2016

For good examples, I'd say that's false. 105.012's have broken the $10K mark multiple times lately when the example warranted it. I think the examples that are selling for less are just more beat up and the market has matured to the point where people are actually waiting for quality instead of paying up for a mediocre example.

6. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2016

From this 105.012 on flee bay....

$_57-5.JPG

I ended up with this...

IMG_2394.JPG

lando, TNTwatch, Optimizer13 and 22 others like this.
  7. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 3, 2016

Awesome find. What year?

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2016

1964 one owner bought in Geneva in 64 also.

No bidders on it largely due to the photos i would have thought. A quick message to him and deal was done.

$_57-3.JPG $_57-4.JPG $_57-7.JPG

9. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jul 3, 2016

This exemplifies my observation among others I have seen. Just a few months ago people on here were scrambling for Ed Whites that were approaching over $10k albeit in somewhat better condition. These watches were not 50% "better" quality to deserve double the selling price of Gemini's example. I suppose I shouldn't assume a linear relationship between quality and selling price.

10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2016

I remember the phone convo like it was yesterday....

Me: Can you confirm the colour of that bezel please.
    Seller: Blue... Is that a problem?
    me: No no absolutely not
    Seller: Would you like it?
    Me: Yes please.

Serial 20,527,xxx

11. Dgercp Jul 3, 2016

Very hard to determine a true trend over just a few months time.
    Short term shifts from brexit, terror attacks, market shifts, currency fluctuations etc. may conspire
    to temporarily dampen or heighten prices on any given comodity. But at the end of the day, supply and demand usually rule. We know about the supply of nice quality 321's.

OMGRLX likes this.
  12. shy06002 Jul 3, 2016

Just got this Ed white and it wasn't cheap. Don't mind paying more of a premium for quality. image.jpeg

13. Bluemartinifan Jul 3, 2016

We're all likely watching the same listings. Super nice Eds going for $12k +.
    IMO demand for the finer Ed examples will continue to exceed supply.

watchknut likes this.
  14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 3, 2016

[QUOTE="I suppose I shouldn't assume a linear relationship between quality and selling price.[/QUOTE]

Bingo! For the finer original cal. 321 speedmasters - especially the straight lug models - a 10% difference in condition can mean a 100% difference in price.

15. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 3, 2016

Colour and textures in this are superb. I feel that the more you study such a piece, the more you can reconcile the current market prices, (which, when first encountered and on face value, do seem daft).

16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 3, 2016

Price isn't the only factor in procuring a top of the line Speedmaster. Luck and risk tolerance certainly come into play as well. Perseverance certain helps also.

Early last year, a 105.002-62, looking very original with a 7912 bracelet and #6 end links, in wonderful condition popped up on an EBay B.I.N. The watch seemed expensive but the seller was less than 100 miles from my home and that was a comfort to me if there were any issues with the watch. I quickly purchased it and, according to the seller who received several eBay messages (one particularily belligerent) I luckily beat others, by seconds, to the punch. The next day, I drove 1.5 hours and picked up the watch.

3 months later, I purchased another 105.002-62. This watch was for sale in Asia. The few pictures provided were lousy. I wasn't exactly sure of the reference. Information, translated via Google Translate, was brief and not very helpful. Returns would be near impossible . The price however was 25% less than the Speedie I purchased months before. So I took a shot, decided this watch was worth the risk, waited 2 weeks for this Speedie to finally arrive and hoped for the best.

The end result. Both watches were identical twins. Separated by only16 debits in movement number. Perhaps produced in the same week. Both were in (near) collectible condition. Pristine, original, and identical in every aspect except watch number two had a scratched caseback from a a faulty opening.

For sure, these two 105.002-62, are near the top of my collection.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited Jul 3, 2016
  17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 3, 2016

Prices are stable/firm for good examples.

We are seeing a lot of rubbish, poor dials especially, offered for ridiculous prices. Some of these are now stalling as buyers allow themselves to be educated.

We can't judge the overall market by some poor examples.

All that said I think the prices have risen so fast and hard for good examples, I would expect a hesitation or even correction, but not to prices of two years ago and not for long.

As ever, for desirable ones, not bags of parts or damaged dials

18. t_swiss_t Jul 3, 2016

Like @shy06002 , I just bought an Ed White after a long search. I was offered examples from $8500 to $20000 USD. At 8500 the pieces offered were obviously not in very good condition however still had relatively undamaged dials, just not like best looking. The prices at the high end were top condition pieces from just about every aspect, with bracelets and hen's teeth end links - but most of these pristine pieces were also from dealers. I take this to mean that those collectors with good straight lugs are hanging on to them because we still expect prices to rise as demand outstrips supply for examples in excellent condition.

In the end I found an OF man willing to sell for a great piece but at less than a dealers price:

IMG_0298.JPG

I think the market for the less stellar pieces has stagnated - it's like dating someone and finding out her sister is much better looking. You're probably not going to be too satisfied any more :whistling:.

@gemini4 - fantastic 105.002's.

19. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jul 3, 2016

What's interesting is that many of these so called mid range pieces only need a little TLC with minimal investment to dramatically increase their value disproportionately to the amount invested. I myself have shown before and after photos of a 2998-61 that required minor TLC to get a piece that is much more valuable than I what I purchased it for.

20. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 4, 2016

Great informative post with excellent photos - thanks. Once again, the whiff of envy is all too evident here this morning!