Forums Latest Members

Vintage Speedmaster - “I wear it in the pool”...

1. BlackTulip Sep 20, 2019

My attempt at trolling - it didn't work ;-)

Archer likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2019

This isn't "my" information, it's Omega's. Specifications for the Speedmaster Pro case:

REF : 055ST1450022
    000 MATERIAL : STEEL
    002 WATER-RESISTANCE : 5 bar
    CALIBRE : 1861
    DIAMETER : 42.00 MM

If you choose not to believe Omega, that's your choice.

Cheers, Al

3. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 21, 2019

In any event, if you are going further than 50m depth (according to my reading of the chart here ), you are pushing the envelope of what a recreational scuba diver should be attempting on air.

Socks and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  4. Stufflers Mom Sep 21, 2019

You don't need a chart, Omega clearly states that snorkelling is not recommended for any of their 3-5 bar rated watches and that includes depths ranging from 1m to 50m.
    If you chose not to believe Omega, that's your choice, so no matter how many times you hear 50M means 50M snorkelling is ill advised.

1BDBB342-F957-46F4-BFEF-7546B7314C1F.jpeg

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 21, 2019

It clearly says the watch is covered against immersion to 50m. You obviously want to pick a fight with Al (who doesn’t work for Omega) and have done so repeatedly using spurious and tenuous logic on several occasions. On one occasion quite rudely and ignorantly when you stated that watch servicing is an unnecessary con. Having only new watches I am not sure how you would know or care. You are in the minority on here where aggressive ignorance inevitably leads to a ban. Please reconsider your approach.

Edited Sep 21, 2019
    Caliber561, lando, Nathan1967 and 2 others like this.
  6. Stufflers Mom Sep 21, 2019

No it doesn't. Please read it again, it says the "watches water resistant to 30M - 50M are protected against the following activities, Water splashes, Rain, Strong exposure to water (it has a shower picture above the description) and submersion in water again with a pic of a swimmer. At no point does it recommend snorkelling or diving to any depth, but it's your watch, your choice but don't say you haven't been warned.
    I know Archer is a forum favourite and it's not a popular choice to go against him, but when you take to time to actually look/read what is shown it proves that I am correct, he is wrong and surely you can't ban someone for pointing out a mistake.

7. tyrantlizardrex Sep 21, 2019

It does not prove that you are correct. It proves that Omega are covering themselves against someone doing something dumb. And also that they're doing their darndest to sell you and me more watches.

'Can I take my Speedmaster which is water resistant in the sea?'

'Of course you can sir... although we wouldn't recommend it... if you were to use the pushers inadvertently, you may allow water to enter the case. What we'd recommend is that you buy this Seamaster 300m for use in the sea."

50m of water resistance, is 50m of water resistance.

8. M'Bob Sep 21, 2019

I swear, I promise, never to snorkel with any of my watches. Please, don't ever post the word "snorkel" again.

image.png

9. saulgoodman Sep 21, 2019

I'm not taking sides in this dog fight, but I can't help but ask if you speak for Omega? From your post, which includes a quote, I assume you have some official capacity with the company and you brought that quote to us from some customer relations Q&A manual. In the alternative, you are just making stuff up. Which one?

10. M'Bob Sep 21, 2019

Um, if this were the case, I wouldn't think his tenure with the company would last too long...

11. tyrantlizardrex Sep 21, 2019

The official position of have had sales people talk bullshit at me for the last 20 years. ;)

12. tyrantlizardrex Sep 21, 2019

For your information I am the CSO - Chief Sarcasm
    Officer. ;)

lando, Nathan1967 and M'Bob like this.
  13. Socks Sep 21, 2019

I agree. Omega are using convenient pigeon holes for the classification of their various water resistant levels. You clearly wouldn’t go scuba diving wearing a speedmaster. And snorkelling can have a wide interpretation. So they are ‘idiot guiding’ the types of activities you could safely and conservatively undertake within the parameters of the watch you purchased. Particularly with a chronograph, where they have ‘weak points’ for watch ingress, I would suggest this is defining the category of aquatic leisure activity that Omega think suits the type of watch and not perhaps the mechanical ability of a watch in test conditions.

Nathan1967 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  14. saulgoodman Sep 21, 2019

So, its B, making stuff up. ;)

15. JwRosenthal Sep 21, 2019

This is the only watch that is officially cleared specifically for Snorkeling and nothing else- it will immediately fail on dry land, and implode at elevation. ;)

Snorkel, snorkel, snorkel......snorkeling anyone?

73A93B3D-8242-4D58-8BE2-683C3B8C4C82.jpeg

Norfolk, M'Bob and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 21, 2019

But you can for being a dick. A pattern is emerging. You won lots of friends with your multiple BuzzButt flip posts. Keep it up.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  17. tyrantlizardrex Sep 21, 2019

I couldn’t give you the name(s) of the sales person(s), but I have had more than one conversation in an OB over the years, where I’ve been told that I need a 300m water resistant dive watch to go in a swimming pool.

Side note: Speech marks don’t always indicate a quote. ;)

18. Stufflers Mom Sep 21, 2019

There's no need to hand out insults because you claimed something that wasn't true, and I corrected it for you. You should remember that it was you that made the statement "It clearly says the watch is covered against immersion to 50m" when all anyone has to do is actually read what is on the page and not rely on the mantra of someone who should no better to see that is not the case at all.

19. tyrantlizardrex Sep 21, 2019

50m water resistance = water resistant to 50m

20. saulgoodman Sep 21, 2019

Just calling them as I see them. Have a good weekend.

O.K., now you all can go back to the skirmish about what 50 meters means.