Forums Latest Members
  1. JamieG Oct 3, 2015

I'm sure it's been asked before but I'd be interested in thoughts on genuine vintage SM300 vs a Watchco type NOS version, or one built from parts.

I've had a hankering for a SM300 vintage Seamaster for a while. I'm not especially looking for something that is approaching 50 years old but I do love the look and style. So I'm looking for the original interpretation but am not bothered about it having no real pedigree.

I know I can buy a Watchco version for $2800, or approx £1900 GBP. I can't help thinking I can do it cheaper buying the parts separately such as the case and then adding a donor movement. I might have a load of fun along the way collecting the parts!

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Jamie

2. the future Oct 3, 2015

If you're not set on a vintage one, get a newer one built from parts. You won't have to worry about it the same way, it'll glow in the dark, and if you buy the parts yourself it'll be the cheapest option. I wear the Seamaster 300 that I built swimming and diving, but I wouldn't do the same with my vintage one.

If you do go the building route, just make sure you buy the parts nowish, because after December that won't be an option.

wsfarrell likes this.
  3. abrod520 Oct 4, 2015

Agree with the above, with the one caveat: That money you spend, will be sunk into your watch but will likely not be realized should you decide to move on. A serviceable (but not super perfect) vintage SM300 (I'm guessing ref. 165.024 or 166.024 as those are the ones reproduced by WatchCo) isn't that much more expensive. It isn't a build, though you might have some similar fun tracking down good vintage replacement parts, but at the very least it'd be investment-worthy - and have a nice dial patina :)