Vintage Seamaster De Ville, To Service or not?

Hi
I am a new member. My Father Just gave me his Seamaster De Ville which was given to him for his graduation from Medical School in 1967. I do not know alot about vintage watches so any help I can get would be appreciated. I have always loved Omegas, I like automatics, I own a couple of others, this is my first Omega. I have already tried to search information on Vintage Omegas but there does not seem to be a lot of good reliable info just alot of Ebay Listings. So I came here.
First question, is this watch worth anything at all? The reason for that question is I went to the Omega website and they want $700 to service it. I have no idea if the watch is even worth that much. Second question, Can it be serviced by a Local watch maker rather than sending it to Omega? I do understand that if I send it back to Omega they are going to bring it back to "New Condition" and replace part that need to be replaced with new ones which may reduce the value of the watch, but dont know if that even matters. I'm in the Boston area so I am guessing there must be capable people that could service the watch. The current condition of the watch is running but running very fast. Its gaining about 5 seconds per minute. The crystal is acrylic I think and it has some scratches. One good size one that is noticeable at about 3:00 you can see it in the pictures. The case itself could use a good cleaning but is not in bad shape. Looks like normal wear. I know this watch has never been serviced. My guess is my father stopped wearing it in the late 70's when it stopped keeping accurate time and it has sat in a drawer ever since. There is a black leather strap that is falling apart that was on it but shows no signs or logos of Omega so I am not sure that is original. I have no interest in selling it, I want to keep it for purely sentimental value. My Father has Alzheimers, the watch even though it might not be worth much means alot to me. I really want to know if it is worth servicing to wear. (I think it is a pretty cool watch) or should I just keep it as is, to be a piece to look at. Any thoughts are welcome Thank you
IMG_3355.JPEGIMG_3357.JPEGIMG_3358.JPEG

It's probably worth almost $700, but that's irrelevant given the sentimental value. Whether or not it's worth servicing to wear is your own personal decision, but there's no reason not to do it, it's a high quality watch. A local watchmaker can service it. Search the forum for recommendations, it's a common question.

Your best option is a local watchmaker with Omega parts account who has interest/ experience with vintage watches. If you can’t find one locally it’s also ok to send it out for service to a number of known watchmakers across That OF members have recommended.

Don’t think you need a watch maker with an Omega account. Unless a part is needed and discontinued. It’s just a service and many part supplies carry Omega parts.

Also. If most parts suppliers are don’t have the part and discontinued. Could be that Omega may not have the part

Then the watch maker checks EBay to see if available.

Last. You bought it at a garage sale or antique show. Nothing else. Don’t mention that it belonged to your father or Alzheimer’s.

I have worked with European Watch Company on Newbury Street in Boston to have watches serviced, including a Seamaster deville, like yours. Albert, Tony and Josh are great and understand the value of patina and old watches. I don't think they are the cheapest, but I trust them (I have bought lots of watches from them and they solid and straighforward). Just know what to ask for with your service..e.g. .keep original parts, no case polishing etc. Good luck with it.

Thank you! Do you have any knowledge of Watches etc in Wellesley? He is Omega certified.
Can you expend a little more on “know what to ask for”? As I have absolutely no idea what to ask for. I think I want to keep the dial it appears in good condition. Is case cleaning but not polishing ok? What about Crystal replacement? I know it’s not worth a lot but I would like to keep it in as original condition as possible. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have worked with European Watch Company on Newbury Street in Boston to have watches serviced, including a Seamaster deville, like yours. Albert, Tony and Josh are great and understand the value of patina and old watches. I don't think they are the cheapest, but I trust them (I have bought lots of watches from them and they solid and straighforward). Just know what to ask for with your service..e.g. .keep original parts, no case polishing etc. Good luck with it.

I don't know about the place in Wellesley, but you will get a sense from talking to him about your watch. I think you said a lot right there about what you want...case cleaning but not polishing, keeping the original crystal if it is still functional, return the original part if it needs to be replaced, keep the original crown, keep it as original as possible...others from the forum will offer their suggestions.

One last thought, take some photos before you get the service done in case there are concerns when the watch is returned.