Forums Latest Members
  1. Inspiralus Jun 20, 2013

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I have recently discovered this watch and am struggling to find a reference to it off any pictures online. I fear it may be a fake but would love some advice on how to tell and how to spot them in the future. It is only the movement and I did not pay much but would love to restore it if it is genuine. Help please. Regards, Daniel (new to this)

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

Certainly a fake movement and the rest of it is probably fake as well (dial is at best repainted). Rather than spend more money on this you should try to get whatever you paid for it back if you can.

3. ulackfocus Jun 20, 2013

Hi Daniel. A few tips to help weed out some fake vintage Omegas:

1) Omega never put "ANTIMAGNETIC" on the dial of any Seamaster that I know of. I don't think they wrote that on many watches, if any.
    2) Omega never put a jewel count on the dial of any watch that I'm aware of either.
    3) Omega never put hallmarks on the outside of a caseback that I've seen - at least the factory in Bienne didn't. I don't think I've ever seen a brand sanctioned UK / A.L. Dennison case with them, nor any US made (Star, Wadsworth, etc) case either. The only markings you might find are very small gold hallmarks on the side of the case opposite the crown or underneath the lugs. You'll need magnification to identify them since they're so tiny. The engravings on the inside of a caseback are easy to see though.

These are pretty basic. You'd be surprised at how many new collectors buy watches that are fakes. Please ask before you purchase next time. Rooting out fakes and frankens is what we do here.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

There were a few manual winds that had antimagnetic on the dial from the factory - Erich and Hoi probably have a few of them - but this no seamasters that I am aware of.

5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 20, 2013

What we have is "Non Magnetic", Not Antimagnetic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

Many US national production cases had hallmarks on the outside of the case. I think it was more prevalent in the 1960's with the advent of the top loading watch case (think Seamaster DeVilles, etc.). Make sense as it was quite difficult to get inside a lot of these to verify the case metal.

There is a concurrent thread that discusses this:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/166-032-caseback-outside-engravings.6067/

The original poster's watch is as fake as fake can be. The movement looks to be of Russian or Chinese origin.
    gatorcpa

7. ulackfocus Jun 20, 2013

Okay, I forgot to mention the front loading watches so you got me there. I should have specified that they never had the rounded point triangle of the other information that you usually see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 20, 2013

These are the markings which typically appear of these counterfeit "gold" "Seamasters". Omega never marked their cases like this on the outside and these fake cases are only base-metal with very thin gold plating.

$T2eC16N,!)0E9s37E2e7BRm4cFUD6!~~60_57.JPG

9. ulackfocus Jun 20, 2013

Thanks Norm. That's exactly what I was talking about. You must have your internal ESPN tuned in. :p

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

You are certainly correct there, D. It's just that on the Swiss cases the gold hallmarks and Omega branding were always together, while on the US cases that wasn't always so.

No harm, no foul,
    gatorcpa

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 20, 2013

Sure does.

Don't see many with 18-jewels.

Was $406 a good price?

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

Yes. I've seen the larger versions in nice shape top $1500.

14. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 20, 2013

If they are 2254, 2410 ,2423