Forums Latest Members

Vintage Rolex service near Sherman Connecticut.

1. Walrus Aug 5, 2021

I know this is a long shot but I said I’d give it a try and I need to follow through. Had an interesting discussion with a family member of someone I work with. Somehow they found it I was a “watch guy.” They we’re at the site for a family visits and the grandfather walked up to me and said “oh gee that is a nice looking Rolex” well I was wearing an skx007 so not making a big deal correcting him I just said, oh no this is a seiko diver but from a distance I’ve had other people think it was a Rolex (never had anyone ask if my 007 was a Rolex I just didn’t want the guy to feel funny.

So then he got to the reason for his approach. He said, well I here you know watches, when my father retired in 1966 he got himself a new Rolex as a present for himself, unfortunately he didn’t live long after retiring so I’ve had it in my closet in its box for the past 27 years or whatever it’s the only thing I have left to remind me of him. He said he doesn’t wear it as it looks as new as the day his father bought it. He said he just found watches should be serviced on occasion and he doesn’t know what to do. I told him he could have Rolex service it, it wouldn’t be cheap and my understanding is they sometimes change parts of the watch but they obviously must do a good service.
    Well he is absolutely adamant the watch remain 100% original. I said in that case look for local independent places that could work with him. He asked about Zales jewelry at the mall, obviously not a watch guy.

so yeah unfortunately i did know one guy known for Rolex but he packed it in during the lockdown. I know a great place in another city in CT but it would be an over two hour ride for him he is a bit older doesn’t want to drive that far. He asked me if I could take it for him, now I’d love to see it but I do not want the responsibility of someone’s 1966 Rolex on my shoulders. Much too stressful and my therapy is going poorly so I need to avoid any and all stress at all costs or I could have a massive breakdown.

So I’d love to help the guy care for his 1966 Rolex but I have been asking around and have yet to find anyone in the Sherman CT area I’d love to find someone with a decent reputation as it’s a serious family heirloom so I’m just asking in the very off chance someone here knows the area. He is supposed to end me pics he doesn’t know the model but got me curious as hec

2. SkunkPrince Aug 5, 2021

These days, he'll pretty much have to mail it somewhere. Unfortunately the local watchmaker is getting awfully rare these days.

3. Walrus Aug 5, 2021

Ya I did bring that up he doesn’t like the idea of mailing it. Old school guy. Tbh if this situation didn’t involve work I would help the guy out by driving it to another city, I’d love to see his family heirloom taken care of I just don’t want to take a chance of something going wrong. I’ll just keep asking around present my findings and if the most reasonable option is mailing it I’ll tell them contact the place see if their procedure alleviates his fears of his watch going missing.

4. NGO1 Aug 5, 2021

My money is on a Sub, imma call 5513.
    I’m also hoping GMT, but if it were gmt, he would have mentioned “red/blue/black something”
    Good luck with your search.

Walrus likes this.
  5. Evitzee Aug 5, 2021

If the owner isn't willing to mail it to someone who can do a sympathetic restoration on it, or able to drive somewhere to get it done, there aren't too many other options. I wouldn't get too involved with it beyond that, it makes little sense to put your own mental health in jeopardy for someone else's property. I've been in similar situations trying to help someone but their fears and phobias sometimes prevented the proper action to be taken. You just have to move on.

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. Walrus Aug 5, 2021

Yeah I agree I mean he doesn’t even what model it is, but the potential is there that he has something very valuable. That’s where things get tricky I wouldn’t want to deliver 20k for someone unless it’s someone I’ve known for years. I just met this guy I’m surprise he would even ask me to take it anywhere he probably isn’t aware of what he has. Shoot I don’t have a Rolex I don’t want to mess around with someone else’s

7. NGO1 Aug 5, 2021

Buy it back from him. Shoot an offer that’s attractive to you both.
    Can’t wait to see it.

8. Walrus Aug 5, 2021

Ha ha I think the family heirloom part would prevent that. But the thought did cross my mind. I got a sewer line to replace I’m not sure I should be looking at rolexes anyway

9. JwRosenthal Aug 5, 2021

How appropriate- sewer and Rolex in the same sentence.

Walrus likes this.
  10. JwRosenthal Aug 5, 2021

I agree with what has been said, make a recommendation of where he can send it. There are a handful of places around the country that are independent authorized Rolex service providers- they are the best to handle it.
    Tell him he should speak to the watchmaker directly and ask about best practices to send it (packing, insurance, etc). Let him know that a service on even like new Rolex, which has no wear, will still cost upward of $500 (saying “expensive” is vague, he may think $100 is expensive)- at least by any place I know that will warranty a Rolex service. He can decide if that is too much to pursue it any further.
    Do not get involved, do not handle the watch, do not offer anything. You can be honest and say that it is worth a lot of money and you aren’t comfortable- he has to respect that.

11. SkunkPrince Aug 5, 2021

According to my watchmaker, who works for a Rolex dealer, he can't service a watch of that age; it must go back to the factory. So that's a consideration too.

12. JwRosenthal Aug 5, 2021

Yeah- that’s a thing with Rolex isn’t it. Perhaps just a good independent then.

13. Dan S Aug 5, 2021

If he decides he's ok shipping it to someone, shoot me a PM. However, if he's not going to wear it for another 10 years, there's really no point in getting it serviced just to put it back in the closet.

Scarecrow Boat and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. Walrus Aug 5, 2021

Ya don’t get me wrong here I’m not going crazy about this I’d just like to assist him in getting his familiar heirloom thus this this post asking if anyone was familiar with the area which is with a though, I already made clear I would not transport the watch myself more than once. Actually even In the opening post although @JwRosenthal for whatever bizarre reason felt the need to tell me that which I already stated I was not going to do at least three times. This shows me either A. JW speed reads and ignoring most of which was written or B. JW is aware of my mental instability, poor progress in therapy, and the possibility I go to Baltimore with the watch and end up doing a “The Shining” type entrance to his front door. The voices in my head tell me my therapy is helping but just to clarify I AM NOT TAkING THE WATCH ANYWHERE. Darn you people are impossible you are all stressing me out I looking forward to getting back to work so I can relax.

15. JwRosenthal Aug 5, 2021

I know you well enough to know you really want to help…and may overlook self preservation in order to be kind to someone. Just trying to reiterate what you already know- and have said…but likely to ignore.

Walrus likes this.
  16. Walrus Aug 5, 2021

Oh cool I’ll take you up on that if he does go that route. Even if does put it back in the closet I think if it means that much to you you should at least do the minimum one

17. Walrus Aug 5, 2021

No I won’t ignore due the the possible amount of money involved but yeah I knew where u were coming from it was just a good time to give you a hard time

JwRosenthal likes this.
  18. JwRosenthal Aug 5, 2021

Sorry, didn’t catch that, just skimmed it ;)

19. Walrus Aug 5, 2021

That’s it Baltimore here I come

JwRosenthal likes this.
  20. Walrus Aug 6, 2021

http://www.naugamatic.com/

I have never stepped foot in this place I find the ad a little confusing with the hand made dial part but I know one person who had a vintage Rolex restored here. They said the entire process was great but not cheap. Anyway he is going to touch base with them and if it sounds feasible his buddy will give him a ride. It’s not that he can’t drive it’s just he is a little older and tries to limit his driving. Probably smart right know thyself. Seems like he is warming up to the idea of shipping it as well so hopefully this all works out for him. I did find one other guy a little closer he can call but I came up with zilch in his general area.