Forums Latest Members
  1. t268 Aug 18, 2019

Afternoon all. I’ve been trying to orchestrate a couple of trades to eventually land on a datejust. Fairly robust, classic styling, plenty of wrist presence.

It may come together, but if it doesn’t are there any other fairly robust vintage models out there I should take a look at? Yes I realize I could save a couple years and just get the datejust, however I bought my wife a Zenith surf a couple months ago that had a really nice dial that made me wonder if there was anything else.

Thanks

DaveK likes this.
  2. wristpirate Aug 18, 2019

Vintage Zenith are fairly robust with a variety of designs to choose from.

Universal Geneve I feel have the same qualities.

More than the brand you’d have to figure out which models you like and how robust they are in person.

As a whole I don’t think you can go wrong with Rolex datejust if you’re looking for a daily wearer and don’t want too much concern about damage

3. Ville_W Aug 18, 2019

When it comes to vintage it’s not only about the robustness. It’s also about the availability of spares and service. Check what the watchmakers in your area and network can manage if anything happens.
    Good luck!

whyboddau and connieseamaster like this.
  4. MRC Aug 18, 2019

What are you doing that is worse than any active person did 50 years ago? The watch I am wearing right now has been used navigating rally cars, diving underneath same when mechanicing on Internationals. Done boat maintenance in SF Bay after climbing the mast, done foredeck sail changing while racing in a North Sea gale. Been taped to steering wheel of race cars (I always forgot to start/stop at the same place). I wear it on a bicycle -- but not in the shower nor when my hand is holding something I'm about to hit hard with a hammer. It's accompanied my life for 50 years and will easily see me underground.

I do go through crystals regularly though :(

cracks-1.jpg

Honestly if you need tougher then G-Shocks are calling.

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 18, 2019

Certina DS from the '60s. Very tough, and great value.

gop76, Benbradstock, marturx and 2 others like this.
  6. t268 Aug 18, 2019

I don’t need it crazy robust, but I work in a hospital where I’m frequently dealing in body fluids, pulling gloves on and off. Then I come home to little kids who inadvertently bash into me with swinging body parts and he occasional projectile toy. Something that can handle that.

7. MRC Aug 18, 2019

OK, no old Carreras then. Rather similar conditions to a restaurant kitchen & I believe Submariners are very highly regarded there.

8. ConElPueblo Aug 18, 2019

This. The Certina DS is the mid-century G-Shock.

9. JwRosenthal Aug 18, 2019

The ultimate Hospital watch was the Milgauss- it was designed for working around the equipment.

10. t268 Aug 18, 2019

Something 2500 or less please. Are there any vintage Omega references that are more robust than others.

11. JwRosenthal Aug 18, 2019

If you’re looking for a watch you can beat the crap out of and scrub in a sink, you may want to avoid the vintage models. Most of the crown and case seals are iffy as they age and even with new seals you would need to have it pressure tested to ensure water resistance. Some of the newer Seamaster’s (like the Aqua Terra models) have vintage styling, as does the Tudor Black Bay series (the black bay 36 with the non-diver bezel configuration is very smart looking and classicly styled). On the used market that can be around your price.

12. Ville_W Aug 18, 2019

It sounds like a vintage diver with new seals and a pressure test is a good choice.

13. wristpirate Aug 19, 2019

Go for a vintage re-issue if water tightness and robustness are a must. You'll get the look you're after with the benefits of modern manufacturing

14. KingCrouchy Aug 19, 2019

I would go for a vintage Vostok, the ones from the 70s are really tough. Certinas are also a great, more refined option.:thumbsup:

IMG_20190803_161103.jpg
    wagudc likes this.