Forums Latest Members
  1. MUCCI416 Nov 17, 2015

Etp095 and Giff2577 like this.
  2. MUCCI416 Nov 17, 2015

First off I wanna say I'm new to the forum and would like to thank the MODs who like me enjoy talking about vintage watches. Knowing this my mother brought over a watch for me too look at which after doing some research I think is a 50's 34mm ref. 2576 maybe with a cal. 342 "bumper" movement...The case has no serial marking on it so I assume all the info is on the movement or on the case back. The case doesn't seem to have ever been polished and has nice lug chamfers. Ive notice the crown doesn't have an omega symbol on it so may be aftermarket? as well as the expanding bracelet which says Made in Hong Kong & 100% stainless steel with no Omega markings. The dial shows small spots evenly across and the acrylic crystal has a crack so would have to be replaced at service. I was told the watch doesnt run but after setting and winding its been running fine for over an hour.
    I had a few questions for the experts:

1.What is the real ref # & movement?
    2.What parts are original?
    3.Approx date?
    4.Does the value of the watch justify the overhaul price (no sentimental attachment)

Thanks for your time guys here are some pics:

3. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Nov 17, 2015

I would guess an early fifities (3) watch and with 2576 as the ref. (1) - but you need to have it opened to be absolutely sure and at the same time you will get the movement caliber (1). and the movement serial - getting closer about the manufacturing year (3). The crown is not original (2) - as you suspected but a correct replacement is available. It will look like this:

[​IMG]

Bracelet is not original (2) either and I would recommend you to get a quality 18mm (at the watch end) leather strap instead.

(4) Yes.
    It is not very valuable but case, dial and hands look very nice and you will get you money back. I do not know if your mother has given you the watch or if you are supposed to pay for it? If given - it is a no brainer. If you have to pay - it depends of course on what sum...
    Be sure to tell the watchmaker not to polish the case or try to clean the dial. Get the movement serviced, an new Omega replacement crystal and crown and you are set. If you like it and want to wear it - you have to get it serviced as - if you start to use it/wear it without - you might damage the movement (it is very probably running dry on lubrication).

Good luck - that is a very good and nice starting point in Omega collecting.

4. MUCCI416 Nov 17, 2015

Thanks so much for all the info and prompt reply. The watch maybe given to me after I tell my moms friend that its not worth thousands and that
    I would pay to have it brought back to life so to speak...I think she thought it was worth like 5k+ after seeing Rolex prices.
    If I do get it I look forward to making the changes you suggested as I do like the patina and sub dial :)
    As for opening the case back what do you suggest I use?
    Cheers!

5. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Nov 17, 2015

A watchmaker. Nothing else as it is just too easy to damage the case if not having the proper tool.

About value - I am certain someone here will help you (and your mother) soon.

MUCCI416 likes this.
  6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 17, 2015

I think a fair value would probably be about $350-$450 providing it needs a service. It's not a rare piece but looks like an honest example. It probably has a Cal. 344.

MUCCI416 and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  7. MUCCI416 Nov 18, 2015

Well turns out I was given the watch :) so sending it in for a service, new crystal and crown seems worthwhile.
    Does anyone know the approx cost of a replacement crystal for this model as well as a legit crown?
    Thanks so much for all your input guys ill be sure to post pics when shes all dolled up.

Edited Nov 18, 2015
    styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  8. MUCCI416 Feb 5, 2016

could someone tell me what model # crown and crystal this watch needs? perhaps an approx price as well as I'm going ahead with the restoration :) Thanks!

9. DON Feb 5, 2016

As the watchmaker needs to order. Parts supplier will have the information needed for the right parts.

Listing my price doesn't help as I buy direct from the parts supplier. Watchmaker will have a markup for his work as in any business, so ask for a quote and then check back here to see if the price is reasonable.

Bear in mind. If you decide not to go ahead with his price. You might be charged a est. for his time.

DON

MUCCI416 likes this.
  10. MUCCI416 Feb 9, 2016

Anyone know of a reputable watchmaker in the Toronto area that would be a good fit for this work? Thanks in advance!

11. DON Feb 9, 2016

Can try looking up Shane Ede. Think he's on Queen St. W./Roncesvalles Ave. area.

Never used him, but knew a couple of guys who did

Small second Seamaster bumpers are very popular models and worth getting serviced

DON

MUCCI416 likes this.
  12. MUCCI416 Feb 9, 2016

Thanks Don that's perfect as I live in the High Park area :)

13. MUCCI416 Feb 10, 2016

Went to see Shane today, told me it was indeed a 344 bumper movement with a 13,6 mil serial dating from 1953. Case back reads C 2576-7. Had him replace the crown with a period correct 4 sided one as well as a new crystal and service. Price was 70 for the crown, 30 for a longer stem, 20 for the crystal, 150 for the service and 10 for a seal. Looking forward to seeing it all complete :) Thanks again Don for all your help A+

Edited Feb 25, 2016
  14. MUCCI416 Feb 25, 2016

Thought Id check back to show off the finished product:

[​IMG]

15. MUCCI416 Feb 25, 2016

16. tamura Feb 25, 2016

Excellent !:thumbsup:

MUCCI416 likes this.
  17. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 25, 2016

Nice to see a watch brought back to life, it can now be used for years to come

MUCCI416 likes this.
  18. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 25, 2016

This one says hi. 2576-4
    Mine has the Breguet numerals which
    I believe means it was destined for U.S. market.
    You'll notice after looking at some 2576 and 2577
    that the steep chamfered lugs were only done like
    that for about 2 years, if that.

DSCN1026.JPG

19. MUCCI416 Feb 29, 2016

Lookin' good in the sun on a green nato :)

[​IMG]

jens0125, Dr No, pitpro and 1 other person like this.
  20. DON Feb 29, 2016

Nice watch, but either needs to be on a leather strap or a BOR bracelet

Nato too military looking and it's a dress watch

DON

styggpyggeno1 and rbob99 like this.