Forums Latest Members
  1. Ω_Seamaster May 23, 2014

Hey!

I am considering to buy this beautiful watch, but I have some concerns about it. I hope you can give me your opinion. 1.jpg

This is a Seamaster from 1954 with reference # KO 2791(-5) and the vintage database has the following information:
    Seamaster

Gents' leather strap

Reference - KO 2791
    International collection - 1954
    Movement
    Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 266 / 267
    Cal. 266
    Created in 1950, 17 jewels
    Cal. 267
    Created in 1956, 17 jewels
    Functions - Subsecond
    Case - Gold-cap on stainless steel
    Case back - Press-in
    Dial - With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and "Dauphine" hands.
    Crystal - Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet - Leather
    Water resistance - 30 meters
    (link)
    The concerns I have are:
    - I notice that there is a dent on the left side of the case, how does this affect the value?
    - As we all know there are many different dials on Omega watches from around the 50s, but do you think this one is a redial? It does mach the description, but the one pictured in the database has a different look (It doesn't have "Seamaster" written on it).
    - The seller states that this is a rare piece, since it is oversized and has a two-toned dial, but with Omega I always find it hard to decide if it is rare or not (when it is not solid gold) since som many was made. What do you think? What do you believe is the vaule of this piece?
    - It doesn't show any obvious signs (to me) of restauration, what do you think?

2.jpg
    5.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    PICTURES ARE NOT MINE, BUT BELONGS TO THE SELLER.

It sure is a beaty though!

Appreciate all help!

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 23, 2014

Nice example of a fairly common piece. A fastidious collector will pass on it because of the dent and it's not really a collectible piece. Dial looks original but will need better pictures to be sure. Crown is a later replacement and the band does not look like a geniune omega band to me. Value as is $400-500.

marturx and Ω_Seamaster like this.
  3. Ω_Seamaster May 23, 2014

Thanks for the input!
    Kind of what i thought/expected. I valued it around $450, but the seller wants around $830...

4. John R Smith May 23, 2014

The hands are the wrong length for this dial, and it is likely a redial (the chapter ring should be on the outside of the hour batons). As Mike says, the crown is wrong.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 23, 2014

No, the minute markers are fine where they are and hands of this length with this dial style are correct as well.

marturx likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 23, 2014

I agree on this, Hoi's rule does not always apply. :D

7. John R Smith May 23, 2014

Gentlemen, I stand corrected. The 2791 does indeed seem to break all the rules . . . ::confused2::

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 23, 2014

What rules? :thumbsdown:

John R Smith likes this.