Vintage Omega Seamaster - Identification Help

Hello,

I recently inherited this watch from my grandfather. Here is what I know. The watch is old, my grandmother bought it for my grandfather a long time ago. After his passing at an early age, my grandmother kept the watch for a very long time. She recently gave it to her older son, my Uncle, whom passed it down to me.

My Uncle would like for me to take it to an Omega dealer to have it cleaned up, as would I since its a family heirloom. Any advice on this top would be appreciated, I live in the Houston, TX area.

I am unable to identify the watch by serial number, as the web has suggested. I assume its on the inside of the backing and I am not going to remove it, I would rather a professional. I figured some of you might know more about this specific model than myself. Any information helps.

I did the best I could with the photos.

TL;DR

Old Omega Seamaster. Need help identifying model and reputable Omega dealer to help refurbish/restore watch, I am in the Houston, TX area.

I’d rather not guess on the specific reference without seeing the inside, but others will probably take a stab at it. TBH your decisions don’t really depend on knowing that information. The obvious issues I’m seeing are the dial damage and the sweep hand and ultimately you will need to decide what to do about them.

If you want Omega to restore it, send it directly to the Swatch service center, don’t get involved with a dealer at all. Most likely it may eventually go to Omega in Switzerland and they may some restoration options for you, probably pretty expensive.

Or, depending on what you want to do about the issues I mentioned, an independent watchmaker who specializes in vintage might be a good choice.

Quite honestly, the dial is going to be a challenge for you.

It’s either a 14744 or an early 166.010.

I don’t think even early versions of the 166.010 had a coat hanger S so I’m going with 14744

As it’s a family piece I’d want to retain the history, marks and scratches it’s accumulated over the years and this isn’t something Omega are likely to do. They’ll want to return it to as new spec.
My choice would be an independent watchmaker who can access and replace all the necessary movement parts, clean the case and replace the crystal but retain the patina on the dial and case.

I would prefer to keep it all original , with what parts need replaced to make it functional. I do intend to wear the watch. Thank you for your comment.

I don’t know any Houston watchmakers, but a quick google search found at least two shops that look good. Just give them a call and take it by to get a quote.

I’m most concerned about the missing crown — Houston is pretty moist during the summer months, and if it has been that way for a long time, the movement might be so rusted it isn’t worth trying to save. Until you see a watchmaker, try to keep it in a dry, air conditioned place.