Forums Latest Members
  1. SeaSubRod Feb 14, 2017

Hello all. I'm new to the Omega Seamaster range, so I kindly request your aid! Does the watch below seem authentic? If so, what ref. #, year range and caliber would it be? Cheers.

GEDC2134.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 14, 2017

3. Edward53 Feb 15, 2017

And once you've read that - it's c. 1960, probably a 552 but might just be a 550. Dial is original and looks ok except for minimal bubbling and possible slight print loss but the lighting is pretty poor and you could do with a better picture. Not possible to say what ref without seeing the inside case back. That's not likely to happen as it's probably a front loader and too difficult for an amateur to remove the movement safely. It looks unmessed-with but the owner doesn't seem to cared about it much as it's picked up a few knocks and is on that shitty bracelet. Still worth having if the price is right as the absence of obvious water damage means the movement is probably fine. Some people will tell you never to buy a watch without seeing the movement. I've gambled on several and it's paid off every time but of course there is no guarantee.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 16, 2017

And this place is littered with posts from newbies who gambled and lost. If the watch is in your possession, take it to a watchmaker and have it checked out. If it's not, ask the seller to provide better photos, including the movement. More information from you, will help us. Any information provided by us is just an educated guess.

5. Edward53 Feb 17, 2017

There is a difference between gambling after weighing up the pros and cons and blindly buying something you know nothing about on the basis that "it looks pretty", which is what most of those newbies have been doing. I certainly don't advocate that, but if I wanted a watch like the one above and the price was right, I'd consider "gambling" on it. It's up to the OP to do their research, sift the advice they receive and make up their own mind. I'm addressing them as a sensible adult and if they can't understand that or choose to disregard it, that's their lookout.

gatorcpa and shaun hk like this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 17, 2017

Looks like a front loading watch. You almost always have to gamble on these, unless the seller is a watchmaker.

I'd almost rather not see the movement, as at least you know that the seller didn't monkey around with the watch and possibly damage the movement or case.
    gatorcpa

PS - My Spidey sense tells me it is likely that everything is OK with the watch. Take it to a watchmaker to confirm.

Edward53 likes this.