Forums Latest Members
  1. gwzymytk Nov 19, 2016

Hey there gentle folks!

So... one vintage watch, not a lot of info on the interwebz, AJTT comes up empty handed with just one picture too small to decypher anything and a small description that can't rule out variations... Page 287, 8251. Ranchero-style dial Seamaster, year 1958. Ref. CK 2937, formerly ref. 2891.

DIAL: I suspected a redial at first. However, the t-swiss made-t is there and cursively written, the "Seamaster" script looks pretty OK, the Omega is consistent. Relumed? Not sure.
    HANDS: Definitely wrong I thought at first; then, dug up a few examples with the same handset. Seconds hand could e repainted.
    DSC00789.JPG
    DSC00794.JPG

CROWN: Definitely from another movie. Right?
    DSC00790.JPG

CASE: ref. 2640 should be a different watch altogether, right? Again, AJTT didn't provide enough reference. Earlier case with an applied dial?
    MOVEMENT: Cal. 267, serial dates the watch to 1960-1961. Running strong for its age.
    DSC00787.JPG
    DSC00788.JPG

Found a few on-line references, below. What are your opinions?

So... Mumbai special? :)
    http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/seamaster-30-sub-second--id4442207.htm
    Franken?
    http://oldman1268.web.fc2.com/others/omegasea267.html
    http://www.omega-watch-collection.com/omega-watches/#omega-seamaster-2990-267-jpg
    http://www.imgrum.net/media/1385735351360707386_277657597

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 19, 2016

I didn't need to go past the first pic, and I'd be wasting time justifying everything else.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 19, 2016

Redialed newbie bait. As Jim said above Dan Brown could write another book trying to work out what it was or is :whistling:

4. Edward53 Nov 19, 2016

Wow. You guys are a bit brusque with this poster. He's not your usual blunt first-timer, he's posted good photos and he's explained his reasoning. This is a model I don't know anything about so I will refrain from speculating. I don't doubt your word(s) that it's a redial and I have no interest in this either way, but if as he says there is a photo in AJTT (which I don't have) of a similar watch, wouldn't it be kinder and more helpful to at least say what's wrong with the dial?

5. GuiltyBoomerang Nov 19, 2016

The lume is too new for a 50+ year old watch. So at the very least the hands and lume plots have been redone; as for the redial part, check the Swiss Made at the bottom of the dial. The text hits part of the 6 o'clock lume marker.

Edward53 likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 19, 2016

Sorry @Edward53 but it is a omega watch that has been Redialed. ( probably from someone looking at AJTT ) Without spending a fair bit of time trying to work out ( research ) what it is or was not many will be able to quickly give lengthy advice. This is not a redial of the same watch it was this is a redial to make it look worth more than what it was before.
    It was probably a while dial that was old and damaged.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  7. Edward53 Nov 19, 2016

Hi Standy, as I said, I don't doubt your word! I just thought OP was getting kicked a bit harder than necessary....perhaps I am too sensitive! :rolleyes:

STANDY likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 19, 2016

Longer your here the harder you get kicked for redials ;);)

Peemacgee and efauser like this.
  9. gwzymytk Nov 19, 2016

Hey, I suspected a redial as well, I don't take it personally (unless you make it personal!). Hence the post. as stated in the end of the post, the whole ensemble is probably a work of fantasy. I even argumented pro and against.

I didn't pay any noob tax on this one, don't worry ;)

What I felt like doing when I opened the thread was starting an argumented discussion and (hopefully) unearth some photos of real pictures of this reference. As I said, the web is somewhat lacking and AJTT doesn't do a great job with helping.

colbyslaugh likes this.