Forums Latest Members
  1. Din Viesel Aug 11, 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum and this is my first thread :).

Some years ago I inherited an Omega watch from my father. A gold one with a gold strap. It's been tucked away safely ever since.
    I've always had a love for watches but never the budget to get a really nice one. I was watching vintage watches online recently and decided that it's really a shame that my dad's watch is just sitting there. So now I've decided to replace the gold strap with a nice leather one and to start wearing this watch!

My estimated guess is that it was probably built between 1973 and 1983. I don't think my dad wore it often so I'm guessing that it was rarely, if ever, serviced.

So my question is : can I just wind it up and I'm good to go? Or should I do anything like get it serviced, lubricated, checked out? I'm a complete noob at this so any advice is welcome.

R.

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 11, 2015

hey R, welcome to the forum. sounds like a nice piece (but we can't see -- no pics?!).

as for wearing, definitely have it serviced before regular use. oils dry out. dry movements wear faster and otherwise cause damage.

get it fixed up and wear it proudly!

3. Mothra Aug 11, 2015

;) What watch?

+1 on oddboy. Don't wear a forty year old watch until you've had it lubricated.

4. Din Viesel Aug 11, 2015

You're right, stupid of me not to add pics. Since II'm adding them, could anyone give me some extra information like model, age, value, ... Any info would be very welcome.

Thanks already !

5. Din Viesel Aug 11, 2015

DSC_0177.jpg DSC_0187.jpg DSC_0183.jpg DSC_0186.jpg DSC_0190.jpg
    Darlinboy likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 11, 2015

Unfortunately, without information from inside the case back, it's impossible to tell you very much.

It looks to be a gold (likely solid) Omega manual wind watch, with an after-market gold band. Omega made dozens of these models in the 1960's, that's when I think this one was made. I can't even guess which movement is inside with at least knowing the diameter of the case.

You'll need to take it to a qualified watchmaker to get any more information. Bring your camera with the "macro" mode on.
    gatorcpa

Darlinboy likes this.
  7. Din Viesel Aug 12, 2015

Thanks for the reply. Pictures aren't very good. I took them with my phone. Everything you say is probably true. I was indeed told it's a solid gold one and it could very well be made in the sixties.

I'm taking it for a checkup to the watchmaker end of august. I'll ask him for some information and will ask for the number on the inside of the watch. I'll certainly let you know when I have more information.