Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega ranchers or railmaster seamster alternatives

1. Rich1e_g Jan 26, 2019

Hi I am new to this forum and seeking some advice when buying a vintage watch.

I am looking to buy my first vintage watch under £1000 mark and looking for some advice before purchasing.

The style I have liked are the 57 ranchero or railmaster but they look out of my price range. Could you recommend any models/watches of that style within my price range and recommended platforms for purchasing.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 26, 2019

Hello and welcome.
    While the Rancheros are out of your price range perhaps consider the Seamaster version, ref 2990-1 and 2996. These are more affordable but be careful for redials.

Goood luck!

Dan S likes this.
  3. Rich1e_g Jan 26, 2019

I like those ones as well.

Thanks.

4. Rich1e_g Jan 26, 2019

I really like the late 50s style of watch in either white or black face

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 26, 2019

Be careful when looking at white faces, and be extra careful when looking at black faces, or as we prefer to call them, dials.
    Black dials have become popular after exposure on a TV series and redialers have taken up the challenge of limited supply.
    Re-dial or re-ink/re-paint can lower the value of a collector grade watch.

connieseamaster and gemini4 like this.
  6. Edward53 Jan 27, 2019

If that is your style and you are not fixated on any particular case, some of the no-name Omega subseconds models are underrated beauties that can still be bought for way below your budget. At the risk of overexposing this watch (I've posted it a couple of times in the past month), I bought this Omega 2605 with 266 movement in June 2017 for £297. Add on a service and BOR and I'm in for about £500. I've been wearing it for the past fortnight and it is just 7 seconds fast since I put it on. I love how big it wears being all dial, the ever-so-slightly aged lacquer which gives it a golden sheen in the right light, and those wacky spider leg lugs.

Re buying platforms, I suggest sticking to here or private ebay sellers, which is where all my watches have come from. If buying on ebay it's essential to do maximum research, starting with the Learn How To Fish thread. Buying from dealers either via their shops or on ebay will cost you much more and there are more wolves than sheep. It would be nice to tell you that there's a thread you can read and then you'll have all the knowledge you need to buy well, but experience is the only safe teacher and even that's only relative.

IMG_6745.JPG

tamura, Noddyman, Mossback and 2 others like this.