Forums Latest Members
  1. Bob1 Feb 14, 2018

Hi, I'm new to this site and am finding some of the discussions very interesting. I have a inherited a vintage Omega from my late father. He wore this watch all the time. I would like to repair it and wear it myself. It is in rough condition as my father wore it fishing, camping and swimming in the lakes. I am willing to restore it but I don't want to get carried away. I took it to a local watch repair and he said he would fix it for ~$450.00 (That included sending it to Omega to get the "face" replaced).

I have two questions if anyone can help:
    1) If I replace the the watch face will it still have the same style or will Omega put a newer looking face on it?
    2) Will this watch be worth more than $450.00 after it is restored? (I think it would be fun wearing this vintage watch around while remembering my father, but I'm also practical and want to be discerning with my money). Here are some pix.

IMG_6626 - 2.jpg
    IMG_6627 - 2.jpg
    IMG_6628 - 2.jpg
    Does anyone have any thoughts?

Edited Feb 14, 2018
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2018

A few things... The watch dates to about 1964 or so...

Omega will most likely redial it or or replace it with a modern dial which will ruin the value. On the other hand the dial is already been redialed, ie repainted... So the dial can be salvaged as is and retain the patina, or get a new one, or clean and reprint the current one. Alas it will have very little value once it is done.

The watch seriously needs a service...the lugs are seriously messed up and i'm not sure what it will cost to repair the lugs

The bottom picture is off a different watch... But i'm guessing a Delbana? or you live in Montana? Its a chrome cased valjoux maybe? I'm not up on my early cam chronographs.

3. Bumper Feb 14, 2018

Those lugs look lime they had an "adjustable" ends bracelet on it for a long time. I'd leave them for now & have use leather strap. Have the watch serviced, but not with Omega, quite a few threads on this forum explaining why.

4. Bob1 Feb 14, 2018

Foo2rama thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping that the patina color you see on the dial is due to the crystal discoloration. If not, you're saying it has been painted/reprinted therefore no matter what i do it isn't going to be worth much. Bummer, i may still repair it just as a keep sake of my dad.

You have a good eye! The bottom pix (i removed i think, is of another watch I found in his box. It is a Butex chromium plated Landeron 48 chronograph. Not worth a lot and i he didn't wear it a lot so not as special (I may sell it for parts, $100 offered by jeweler). He also had a Hamilton automatic in there. It was in great shape so it may be fun to wear. The treasure was a Hampton Pocket Watch built in 1890ish (here's a pix). It still runs. The problem with watches like this is there is no practical way of enjoying them. It was actually my granddads for years. IMG_6520.JPG MovementsIMG_6522.jpg

Mad Dog likes this.
  5. Bob1 Feb 14, 2018

That's correct Bumper, you guys really know your stuff!! I will put a leather strap on it if/when i get it serviced.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2018

Darn it that explains it.. a Landeron... I should have known lol. The MOU import codes not exactly common and normally a Delbania as they tend to be more common then the other brands tied to that importer.

There are desk mounts for pocket watches... make a cool desk clock? It would need a service also as the oils are most likely long gone.

Love to see the dial on the Chrono.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 14, 2018

[QUOTE="Bob1, post: 896959, member:

The treasure was a Hampton Pocket Watch built in 1890ish (here's a pix). It still runs. The problem with watches like this is there is no practical way of enjoying them. It was actually my granddads for years. View attachment 513055 View attachment 513056 [/QUOTE]
    See posts from @Mad Dog ... he knows how to enjoy those pocket watches.

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 15, 2018

Dang right, Larry! :D

Pictured below, two of my B.W. Raymond railroad machines [494 and 571] doing their job at the donut factory...good times! :thumbsup:

276C61D0-4621-4A38-A3C4-915E1F5FC5CE.jpeg

A7830708-D233-41CA-AF6A-AAE809506E5F.jpeg

Larry S likes this.